cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Tape used than total data size

Robert_Schaffer
Level 2
I am using Backup Exec 9.0 on a Win 2K3 Server w/ Quantum DLT VS80 Drive. With compression I get an average of 67GB on one tape. I have a total of 77 GB of data to back up. When one tape is filled I am prompted to insert another tape. After a full backup though, the second tape only has 2 GB of space left on it and I can't fit too much more for incremental backups. Why is it using so much space on the second tape? It is equivalent to backing up 120 GB of data.

thank you,
Robert
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Robert,
- Can you please let us know the kind of compression you are using? Is it Hardware?
- Also what is the capacity of your tape?
- We would also like to know what Type of Data are you backing up?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Schaffer
Level 2
I am using the selection of - Hardware The Tape and capacity is the Sony DLT IV - 40/80. Type of Data - Mostly files off of a MAC - Quark , Also Have PDF files and EPS picture files.

thank you,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like you data is mostly non-compressible.

You can try one run with Software Compression only. The compression won;t be exactly the same, but will be very close.

I'll be you get around 1.1:1 or so, rather thatn 2:1

Robert_Schaffer
Level 2
I will try the software compression. And reply with results

According to the media properties it says I have a compression ratio of 1.67:1. Can that mean that I am gettin g that compression ratio on the compressable files and the non compressable files are just filing up the tape? The properties also say that I get about 65 to 67 GB of info on tape.

thank you for the help

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the updates.

Waiting for the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.