cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Exec from one Drive to another Part II

Michael_Berryma
Level 3
Hi,

I posted a note on here a couple of months ago about moving my backup exec (12.5) install from one partition on a server (SBS 2003) to another (basically my C drive is getting full and I am hoping to move the backup exec install to a different set of drives on the same server to recoup the space).  I got a response telling me to look at Doc 319367, and at first glance I thought that was what I needed.
However, when I read  the section titled: "Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true:"  It had this notation - If planing to move Backup Exec to a different drive/directory on the server.  Which is exactly what I do want to do.

So, if this is true, does that mean that I can't move the install, but would have to uninstall and reinstall and lose my jobs/media sets, etc?

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This looks interesting.  I just did some service pack type updates, I guess the reinstall will put me back to CD/download revision, and I will need to apply updates again, correct?

Correct

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Michael,

Take a look here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264680.htm - this applies to BE 9x/10x, but can also be applied to your scenario.

You can uninstall/reinstall and STILL keep your data. You'd need to make a copy of your Data folder in your installation directory, along with your Catalogs folder.
Once reinstalled to the new path, you then copy these over the newly created folders. You will need to stop your services before doing either action.

Laters!

Michael_Berryma
Level 3
Craig,

I will check this out.  I already moved my catalogs to a different drive, but I think  I need to move the install as well.

Mike

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

that Tech Note includes exporting Registry Values, so changing install folders is a no-no

To uninstall/reinstall (to a different location)  v12x see

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307764.htm

Michael_Berryma
Level 3
Ken,

This looks interesting.  I just did some service pack type updates, I guess the reinstall will put me back to CD/download revision, and I will need to apply updates again, correct?

Mike

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Correct