cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving data from Windows Server to NetApp NAS via CIFS and BE 2010

quakes
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I've run into a small roadblock and wondering if one of you has a method to get past it.   I would like to move about 2TB of user files that currently reside on a Windows 2003 server to a NetApp FAS2040 that is configured as a Backup Exec NDMP server, preserving file ownership and quota entries, etc.    My plan was to backup the Windows 2003 volume on our BE 2010 media server then redirect a restore to a CIFS share on the NetApp.  That worked fine before I enabled the NDMP option.  Now I cannot browse to or redirect to a CIFS share on the NetApp.  It only recognizes NDMP to/from its direct-attached tape library.  Should I temporarily delete the NDMP server option, restore to the CIFS share, then re-enable NDMP?  I am considering trying that but worry that all the existing NDMP catalog and job histories will be deleted.

Any suggestions?

Any way to get the NetApp's CIFS shares to show up again as a redirected destination without removing NDMP?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quakes
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions!

It turns out that 2 things need to be done.  NDMP in Backup Exec needs to be disabled.  The NDMP daemon on the NetApp must also be disabled using the command: ndmpd off

Once I did that the CIFS authentication worked fine and I could restore to the CIFS share directly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Should I temporarily delete the NDMP server option, restore to the CIFS share, then re-enable NDMP?  I am considering trying that but worry that all the existing NDMP catalog and job histories will be deleted.

If you disable the NDMP option you will not lose any catalog information or job history

teiva-boy
Level 6

NDMP while not proprietary, is proprietary to each NAS vendor's offering.  Thus a NDMP backup from a NetApp, cannot be restored to an EMC NAS.  AN NDMP restore is limited to restoring back to an NDMP filer of the same make typically.

I hate NDMP for this.

Want to get around it?  You need to backup the share via CIFS, and you can restore via CIFS. Of course CIFS is slow in most cases.  So is NDMP in some like if you had dedupe enabled and a 2020 or 2050, those things are JUNK!

In your case, just restore to a user-defined share.  You will want to just disable NDMP on the filer just in case, though isn't needed I think.  The permissions should carry over if you select the checkbox for that, NetApp is generally pretty good about being able to use Windows ACL's.  

quakes
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions!

It turns out that 2 things need to be done.  NDMP in Backup Exec needs to be disabled.  The NDMP daemon on the NetApp must also be disabled using the command: ndmpd off

Once I did that the CIFS authentication worked fine and I could restore to the CIFS share directly.