cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving new tapes to a vault

EdHousing21
Level 3

This should be easy, but I can't get anything to work, please help!!!

We have our backup exec 2012 system up and working nicely.  We have 350 tapes that we rotate out to a vault using the "configure storage" > "Media Sets and Vaults".

I now have 50 brand new tapes that I want to put into the vault for future use.  I insert all the tapes into the library and Backup Exec scan the bar code.  What I now want to do is export those tapes straight to the vault.  But the "Move Media To Vault" buton is greyed out.  The "Update Vault" wizard doesn't work till the tapes have been used, and the "Manualy Move Tapes To Vault" wizard seems to create duplicate media entries (I'm guessing one is the manual entry and the other is the scanned tapes (this has vaused us loads of problems when we first started)).

So is there an easy way of moving unuesed tapes to a vault?

Cheers,
Ed.

4 REPLIES 4

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you try assigning those tapes to a media set and then try to move them to vault.

Thanks

EdHousing21
Level 3

Thanks for your reply Rahul, but I have tried that.  I added some new tapes to our "Daily backups" media set, but the "move the vault" option stays greyed out until the tapes have been written to.

Cheers,

Ed.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ideally it should not move to a vault until and unless the tape is assigned to a media set.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't have to use vaults when you rotate tapes off-site. Just take whichever tapes that you want to take off-site out of the tape library and put in a new set of tapes. After you do a scan, the off-site tapes would be marked off-line. When you return them to the tape library later and scan them, they will be marked online.