cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving server to new domain, local disk storage

supercat
Level 3

I have a dedicated BU Exec server with 1TB of disk space that I use for disk backups which is backed up to tape everynight.  If I reinstalled the OS with a 2008R2 x64, joined it to the new domain, re-installed BU I would have any problems resotoring from tape correct? 

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Should have no problems at all

iIf you want to just start from scratch on the new server, you don't need to do any thing special.  If you want to migrate all jobs, schedules, etc, see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129826

How to migrate Backup Exec to another server with a different Windows OS version.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

How to migrate from Backup Exec from one version to an another on different server with a different server name.

On the new sever use BEUTIL to set the new domain name within BackupExec

supercat
Level 3

Thanks for the links.  I wouldn't move it per se, it would remain on the same phsyical box, but that box would be wiped and re-created.  The database is remote but I would like to move it back locally.

I just want to know that I can restore the data off the tapes if need be.  Maybe even just re-install it and have the backup data available via tape?  Would I still need to preserve the catalog files and what not? Or even use the same SQL database?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK, so after wiping the box and re-installing the OS, Install BackupExec, inventory and catalog the last tape you have that contains the \Data and \Catalogs folder  (or not, if you have saved those folders to Disk somewhere on your network

then follow the TechNotes to copy the saved data over the install info, and use BEUtil to import your config from the BEDB.BAK file

then run BEUTIL again to change the Domain and/or Server Name

You can always restore the data even if you do not migrate the Catalogs and database to the new server, it is just that you  would have to inventory and then catalog each tape you want to restore from (or all tape of a backup set) before you could actually do the restore.  The catalog function can be quite a long process, so ...

supercat
Level 3

Ken...the new server will be part of a new domain as well.  So all of this is happening at once.  Which is confusing the hell out of me.  My database is on a remote SQL server at this point as well. 

1. Copy off the \data \catalogs folder 

2. Re-install OS (2008)

3. Install Backup Exec and run live update

4. Copy back \data and \catalogs folder?

5. Catalog tapes? 

Would that allow me to restore whatever data is on the tapes?  Do I need to re-use the current SQL DB to be able to restore data?  The data is not related to BU at all, it just a bunch of files.  99% of the servers its backing up are going away anyway, I just need to be able to restore the files and not the sysvol or shadow copies. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you copy back the \Catalogs folder, you should not need to re-catalog the tapes

I THINK that with a copied \Catalogs folder, that if you inventory the tape that's all you need - even without restoring the BEDB itself

Sounds like it may be easier to just recreate your environment than to fight restoring the database and then make a bunch of changes, and I definitely recommend SQL Express rather than using an instance within MSSQL, so all you would need to copy back from the \Data folder would be the job logs

supercat
Level 3

Alright.  I will probably just do that anyway. 

I would just hate to not have access to the backedup data.  I could always backup the DB and restore that if need be. 

Will let you know how it goes, currently waiting for my duplicate backup set to tape to complete.