cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the Backup Exec Database from MSDE to SQL

Matt_Ballard
Level 3
Hi,

We have a Media Server running Backup Exec 10d. It was originally installed using MSDE, but we have since noticed a massive performance issue, especially writing lots of very small files, so we've decided to move the DB to a dedicated SQL 2K box. I've tried the New Database option in Bexutil, but to no avail - I can select the SQL server from the drop down list, but it always errors. At no point does it ask for any username/password credentials.

I ran setup again to go through the motions of choosing whether to use a SQL server or MSDE, but didn't get the option, so uninstalled Backup Exec completely.

Now I'm trying to re-install I have the option to specify a SQL server, but again I only get a drop down list. Nowhere to input username/password or a port.

Is there anyway round this? Or it it expecting Windows Authentication?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Haven't tried getting BEWS to use a remote SQL Server only a local one, but in theory I think it should still work.

I'd suspect that it is looking for windows authentication to the SQL database, as when you install using a local SQL Server instance it won't prompt for a login then either. Is it possible with your setup to allow your backup user windows permissions to the remote SQL Server you're trying to use to see if that will fix it?

It's also worth noting that when done locally the BEWS installation doesn't just create a new database within the existing default instance, it creates itself a new named instance, so I'm not sure how it would handle that on a remote server.

If you let us know what the error message is that you're getting when you try selecting the remote server that might help explain what is happening.

Matt_Ballard
Level 3
Success!

It does indeed rely on Windows Authentication. You must have an account on the SQL server and the Media server - no option to use SQL authentication, which seems a little restrictive.

Anyways, it's working.

Thanks