cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to another server.....

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4

Hi all,

I purchased Backup Exec 12.5 a few months ago, while we were upgrading the tape drive in an older server.

It is installed and working fine.

However, we have now decided to move the data to a new server, and retire the old.

Ive built the new server, and am waiting for a time when I can take the network offline to move all data across and swap the physical server around etc.

While I am setting up the new server, the old server is obviously still in use.

Can I install the same Backup Exec 12.5 onto the new server, in parallel, so I can test etc, and so the server is ready to replace the old?

Or do I need to wait until the old server has been shut down etc, before I can install Backup Exec onto the new??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can install BE on the second server. I'm not sure if it 'finds' the first server and therefore gives problems with the license keys. But you can install BE on the second server without license key so it will run in trial mode for 60 days. This should be enough to test it, and decomission the old one and enter the correct license keys.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can install BE on the second server. I'm not sure if it 'finds' the first server and therefore gives problems with the license keys. But you can install BE on the second server without license key so it will run in trial mode for 60 days. This should be enough to test it, and decomission the old one and enter the correct license keys.

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4

Is there a process for BE on the old server for when I remove it and put the license on the new server?

For example, do I need to de-activate BE on the old server, before I put the license key into the new server?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, you can de-install Backup Exec or just turn the server off. And enter the product keys on the new server. The licenses are not activated on the internet if you mean so.

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4

Ah I understand.

Thanks for your help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you are unsure of the exact procedure to migrate an existing install to new hardware, see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

How to migrate from Backup Exec from one version to an another on different server with a different server name.