cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Compaq 20/40 DAT/DDS4 drives not seen by BE

R_Pate
Level 3
On a Compaq ML530 Server using Server 2000, I am trying to get BE to see a second 20/40 DAT/DDS4 drive. I have tried running both off the same controller, different controllers, even adding an additional controller. I have tried Veritas drivers, Compaq drivers, and Microsoft drivers. Both drives show in boot, Device Manager and operate under Removable Storage. BE only sees Tape0, and does not see Tape1. When I attempt any operation from BE to the drive it sees while the other drive is powered, it fails with Device not responding.

I have replicated the problem on a virtually identical ML530 using Server 2003.

I have another virtually identical ML530 using Server 2000 where I have cascaded HP Surestore DAT 40's with no issues at all..
16 REPLIES 16

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just to clarify, these are standalone drives, not multiple drives in a Library, right?

If they are in a Library, you need to purchase an LEO to enable the second drive.

R_Pate
Level 3
These are stand-alone drives.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
OK, does NTBAckup see and access all the drives at the same fime

R_Pate
Level 3
Yes

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

From the technote given below please check if your device is compatible
(title) Backup Exec 10.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived

R_Pate
Level 3
Yes, it is...

Compaq20/40 GB DAT Drive (DRTape)COMPAQ^^SDT-10000SCSI4mmTested

Vjekoslav_Vekic
Level 3
What series of Compaq ProLiant ML530 Server are we talking about, ML530 or ML530 G2? Do you have all the latest firmware for the server? Are the tape drives connected via a SCSI bus or RAID Controller Card? If they are connected via RAID controller card I would suggest to connect them via a SCSI bus.

R_Pate
Level 3
These are simple 530's - not G2's. I have tried all combinations of daisy-chain off raid, of native bus, of older controllers,. I have also tried running on separate controllers (see above options). Having tthe luxury of a cold ML 530 on the shelf, I have been able to spend hours testing all of the combinations. The result is always the same - Removable Storage and Devices see both, BE only sees one.

Vjekoslav_Vekic
Level 3
Hi there, it's me again. This is rather interesting problem! I'm sorry if I suggest you do some things you might have already tried but here we go.

Firstly, the fact that both tape drives initialise at the BIOS level during the boot up and they are visible in the device manager does not mean there is no hardware issue. I'm quite confident that that is the problem, so back to basics.

Are you using a SCSI cable with terminator? Have you tried replacing SCSI cable? If you are using a SCSI cable without terminator ensure that the last device in the chain is terminated. What is SCSI ID of each tape drive, are they maybe conflicting, even though if that was the case you should have been advised at the BIOS level, but you never know.

Also each time you chang hardware configuration on ProLiant servers G1 series it is recommended to run SmartStart for servers hardware configuration wizard to ensure that everything is configured properly on the BIOS level. Have you tried running any of the Compaq/HP hardware test utilities available on the SmartStart CD to see if the hardware operates properly?

Cheers

R_Pate
Level 3
Not to worry about covering the basics.

Terminators: Have tried multiple configurations with and without.
SCSI ID: Not conflicting and not conflicts. I have also tried alternating between high and low ranges. Typically using combinations of 3,4,10,11.
Cables: Tried about 12 different combos (yes, I have a few spares on hand)
SmartStart is not necessary. All does show correct on boot. What is most important in the battery of changes is making sure Remove Hardware has been employed before each change. I boot about 3 times per combo to make sure Devices and Removeable Storage are reporting correctly before I even go to BE.

Vjekoslav_Vekic
Level 3
Now I can see why you are getting frustrated, if you are. :) Couple of more suggestions:

1. I would install the latest PSP (ProLiant Support Pack), latest version is 7.40A, that will install necessary drivers for all hardware.

2. You mentioned you have got virtually identical server running Server 2000 where you have cascaded HP Surestore DAT 40's with no issues at all. Try moving 20/40 DAT/DDS4 drive(s) into this server and see what happens.

Cheers

R_Pate
Level 3
Tried the swap on the SS40's. Sadly, they require different drivers so when you let everything run through the mix - back to square one.

Considering BE still hasn't fixed the problem with ejecting all tapes in a cascade, and this model drive no longer exists in the HP-Compaq universe, I doubt there ever will be a solution.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Couls you check if the tape works better with the OEM drivers in placse of Veritas drivers, despite the fact that they are compatible we could try this as a troubleshooting step.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

R_Pate
Level 3
I have found no difference in using Compaq drivers, HP drivers, Microsoft drivers, or Veritas drivers.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

As per your earlier reply, you have a "Daisy Chain". Please ensure that termination is properly done on it.

Can you see the device properly in Windows Device Manager?

Update us on the same.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
He already replied that he can see and access all the drives from NTBackup