cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Drives & Interface Questions

GBA131
Level 2
Greetings,

I am looking to see how others use multiple tape drives and network interface. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario:
Lets say you have two jobs that need to be run each night at the same time. There are two jobs - one for each drive (drives are not the same). Both jobs will be backing info from the same LAN. However, each server is on its own vlan.  Would each tape drive need its own network interface? If so, are both NICs IP addresses configured with DNS entries? From what I've read, the interfaces are usually to the LAN and wan.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Dave_Woo
Level 4
Employee
Not real sure what you mean?

Do you have multiple Media Servers each having a Tape Device/ Library, or a single Media Server with multiple Tape Devices/ Library's?

GBA131
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.

This is a single media server with 2 tape librarys.

I am trying to use both at the same time, but each on its seperate job (both jobs backing up remote servers). Also, I'd like to use a seperate NIC for each. Just hoping to find someone with this exact setup to determine NIC configurations.

Thanks

Dave_Woo
Level 4
Employee
In order to use more than one tape device simultaneously, you will require, a Library Expansion Option License, otherwise the 2nd library won't display in BE. This way you can configure device pools i.e

Pool 1           Library 1
Pool 2           Library 2

When you configure the backup jobs, select which device pool required by that job in Devices & Media
From Network & Security, select the NIC associated with the VLAN to which the target server belongs.

If a DNS server exists in each VLAN, you will need an A record in the zones, so that the Media Server will correctly resolve servers in each VLAN.

GBA131
Level 2
Thank you once again Dave Woo.

We purchased the Expansion License.

I have the libraries in seperate pools.

What can I do if only 1 DNS server exists for all VLans?