cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Drives or One?

John_Smith_10
Level 4
Hello all:

We have a bit of a conundrum. Our tape backups are getting full. Currently we are running of a Quantum DLT8000 that is capable of storing 80GB compressed onto a single tape but we are reaching 73GB and it gets full. So we have two options and are trying to find out the best. If we were to purchase another 80GB drive could we use them both for one backup? i.e. Once one fills up it automatically defaults to the next one? Is this what a Drive Pool does?

Our second option is to get a bigger drive, and for that I need recommendations on size and media type as I haven't got the slightest clue as to what the different name such as DAT72, DLT VS160, etc. mean. What companies does everyone recommend that work best with the Veritas software?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
You can add another drive to the server and create a drive pool to target you backup job to. This way, if another tape is needed, the job can span to a tape in the other drive. As far as buying a new high capacity drive, you can get other's opinions but make sure the device is contained in the compatibility list (most popular devices are).

John_Smith_10
Level 4
Does anyone have any suggestions on a new tape backup?

Brian_Ballenger
Level 4
If you are partial to DLT, you might try an SDLT drive. These can use 160/320 GB tapes, and I believe they would be backward compatible with the DLT tapes that you already have. I may be wrong on that. There is also SDLT 600 out now, though I don't think that would work with your current tapes, and it costs quite a bit more.

LTO3 is out this year, so if you can afford the latest and greatest, that might be the way to go. I believe it has a 400/800 GB capacity per tape. If you can't afford that, the price on LTO2 has dropped considerably since LTO3 is coming out, and it still has a 200 GB native/400 GB compressed capacity. LTO tends to be a little bit faster than DLT, I think.

As far as specific brands and everything else, I can't really help you much there. It sounds like you're currently using a single standalone drive. If that's the case, and you expect your backup needs to continue to grow, I would look into a tape library. That would allow you to use multiple tapes in a single drive without user intervention.

There's my two cents.

John_Smith_10
Level 4
How does a tape library work? Is this the same thing as an autoloader?

Brian_Ballenger
Level 4
They are pretty much the same, in function. Essentially, they are devices that hold more than one tape in slots. A robotic device of some sort then loads one tape at a time into the drive. When that tape is full, it is replaced in its slot and the robot loads the next tape. Basically, they just remove the need for human intervention in order to change tapes if one fills up. In my experience, devices classified as "autoloaders" tend to hold a smaller number of tapes.

Say, for example, you have a library or autoloader with ten slots. Each of those slots might have one 80 GB tape in it. For the sake of simplicity, we will say this device has one tape drive. Now, if you kick off a backup job that will use 120 GB of tape space, the device will load the first tape and write 80 GB to it, eject it, and load the next tape to write the remaining 40 GB. This requires no action on your part to complete. Backup Exec has built-in features for organizing and managing your tapes, slots, and drives.