cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Network cards causing failure?

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
We are having a problem with one of our servers connecting to the BUE server.

The BUE server has 2 NICs; one connecting to the xxx.xxx.21.x subnet, and one other connected to our tape LAN on a 192.168.x.x subnet. The servers that are being backed up are on the 21 subnet. The server in question is on the xxx.xxx.228.x subnet. The firewall allows connections on all appropriate ports between the 21 and 228 subnets for the backups to happen, hence that is not the problem. The server on the 228 subnet fails it's backup when the NIC connected to the tape LAN is enabled. I've watched the transactions through the firewall when the Tape LAN NIC is disabled, and everything works fine, but as soon as I re-enable the Tape LAN NIC, the job fails and no connections are made. Sometimes it will make a few connections, but not the necessary port 10000 connection. I have set the backup job to use the appropriate network card in the network category of the job, but it still fails as soon as the Tape LAN NIC is enabled, even though I've specified that the backup server should specifically use the xxx.xxx.21.x NIC (not the Tape LAN NIC)

Here is a copy of the error I get when the job fails when the Tape LAN NIC is enabled. The job is successful when the Tape LAN NIC is enabled:

"Credentials CheckDevice : \\SOVPER-PAYROLL, \\SOVPER-PAYROLL\C:Check status : Error: a000846b, The job failed with the following error:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer."

The BUE Remote agent is installed and running on the remote server. I checked.
16 REPLIES 16

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please try backing the server via user defined selections, let us know the resluts.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
By using "user defined selections?" Do you mean by selecting which network card I want it to use in the "network" category of the job setup?

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
I already did that BTW, and it still reverted to the wrong NIC when it was enabled.

For a quick fix to the problem, I found a program called DEVCON which id a command based utility which allows me to script shutdown and startup of devices in the pre and post run scripts. It takes care of the issue for the meantime, but I would like to not have to use it. I shouldn't have to disable a device to get the software to work properly.

If you know a good workaround for the problem I would appreciate it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you specified which network to use in your Job Description?

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
Yes, in the Job Setup window, I have navigated to the network category and selected the correct network adapter, and I have also specified the correct Network number, IP address, Subnet mask, and such...

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have specified network category in the job setup window, put the remote agent service in the debug mode and execute the backup job.

Verify the debug logs for any error message.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
I'm going to try that today. I will let you know what happens.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
One of the reasons for the failures may have been that there was an old NT backup utility job running around the same time the Veritas backup job was running. This may have been causing the failure. I have deleted the old NT job and will post whether this solves our problem. Thank you all for your help thus far.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on the status of this issue.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
Now I'm getting "a communications failure has occurred"

I think the remote agent is failing...

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check the applications using 10000 port.
As suggested by Deepali previuously please put the remote agent service in debug mode.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
I will put the remote agent in debug mode today and post any logs and such that happen over the weekend, here on monday.

I will also check to see if there are any other apps that are using port 10000..

thank you for your time and patience.
Dave

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
i have the Debug log. does someone need to see it? Or, rather, what should I look for?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Dave,
You can go through the debug logs. We are looking for any specific errors... If you do find please paste that part of the debug logs here. In case the debug log is small you can paste the whole log here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Awaiting your response.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
this looked a little bit suspect...

1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Enumerating local drives
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Creating DLEs:
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: \\SOVPER-PAYROLL\C:
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: \\SOVPER-PAYROLL\F:
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: AddESE_DLEs( )
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: first load attempt of esebcli2.dll failed: The specified module could not be found.
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: second load attempt failed from path = 'esebcli2.dll': The specified module could not be found.
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Looking for esebcli2.dll in sysetm path
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: never found EseBcli2.dll
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: esebcli2.dll not loaded
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: SQL2_SurrogateCalling - the default SQL Service is not running on SOVPER-PAYROLL.
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Device Shadow?Copy?Components Dle platform 2 major version 5 minor version 2 build 3790
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: No utility partitions found on any of the disks
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Attach to \\SOVPER-PAYROLL
1ac 7/29/2005 15:43:41: Detach from \\SOVPER-PAYROLL

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Though this is a delayed reply to your mail, it can help you in case the problem persists. It seems you were getting the error 'Communications failure has occured'. Does the problem persist?
The debug log you sent seems to be a part of the entire log. Also check the following technote and follow the steps if it corresponds to your issue:

When backing up or restoring local or remote media servers with Backup Exec for Windows Servers, the job fails with "A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263776

- Ensure that the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service is running.

If the error persists, revert with details. Also check for errors in the Windows event logs.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.