cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups delayed by bogus device paused message

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
Backups are scheduled for 3am. Device is B2D folder. Status shows device paused. I go to devices, right click on the folder and it does not show paused. I select properties, take the check OUT of enable. Select apply. Put the check IN enable and apply. Backups begin.

This B2D folder has been used for several months and has only for the past month been having issues. Can think of nothing different about the network.
11 REPLIES 11

shilpa_Pawar
Level 4
Hi,

Are you running backup to local backup to disk folder or does the backup to disk folder exists on network?

Are there any errors in event log?

Also refer these technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191275

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236295

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
while your message does show the error correctly, your solution doesn't help. I have to go to devices and select the B2D folder, select properties, uncheck enable, apply, recheck enable, apply and then the job will run. Why do I have to do this EVERY DAY?

The B2D folder is on a network (located on a different server than the Veritas program). The veritas agent is present.

There are errors in the event log:
Server: "HUTCH") The Backup-to-Disk device is offline.

This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.

and:
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Changer: LockAndRefreshChangerConfig() Unable to Lock Changer.cfg (\\172.20.170.14\e$\backups\veritas\Changer.cfg). Error=2

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried creating a new B2D folder and checked the results ?
If not, please create a new folder and verify.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
yes, I have gone so far as deleting the backup job and the B2D folder and starting from scratch. Each morning I have too dis-enable the device and re-enable it.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You had earlier mentioned that the B2D folder is on a network on another server. Check if the disk where the folder is located has become full. Try creating a b2d on some other location for test purpose and then see if the error occurs. This will help verify if insufficient space was causing the problem or not.
If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
There are 78 gb of space available on the server. I am backing up less than 30gb. It is not a space issue.

The device screen shows offline. Once I select properties, uncheck enable, apply, re-check enable, apply, the job continues. It is not a space issue.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please try accessing the b2d device location via the windows explorer, also check if you an ping the servers with the command:
ping -a ipaddress this will give the packet loss across the network. if there are network timeouts and the packet loss is large you may have problems writing data to this disk.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
Explorer finds folder - no problem. Ping has less than 1 ms response.

B2D folder is located \\172.20.170.14\e$\backups\veritas

does it have to be mapped directly to a share? Although it doesn't seem to care once I uncheck and recheck the enable switch....

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you mentioned the same path of backup to disk folder in Backup Exec ?

Regards

Eva_Iorillo
Level 3
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

I have changed the destination to point directly to the share. Doesn't seem to help

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please create a backup to disk folder on a different network location than the present one and check if you have similar problems.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.