cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple backup jobs appending

Aron_Shevis
Level 4
I'm running BE12.5 and have 2 jobs I need to run at different times.  Whats happening is the first job runs and finishes then the second job runs and appends to the first job when I need it to create a seperate backup file (I'm backing up to a folder on a removable hard drive).  Both jobs are set to overwrite.  How can I get this to work so that different files are created rather than 1 file that is appended?  I dont know if this has anything to do with my issue or is seperate but I'm getting an error in my application log (The job however still seems to complete successfully.)
Source Backup Exec, Event 33808. 
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Changer: LockAndRefreshChangerConfig() Unable to Lock Changer.cfg (E:\VERITAS\B2D\Changer.cfg).  Error=2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Might want to try setting it to partial and unchecking the box for Prompt before overwriting.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Go into the backup job properties and set it to Overwrite Only (Device and Media).  Also in your media set change the Append Period to 0 Hours.  This will make it so the files aren't appendable as well.

Aron_Shevis
Level 4
Thanks for your reply.  I checked the Overwrite, it was already set to Overwrite Only.  Media set append period also is already 0.  I checked the log file for the second backup which ran (the one that appended the first one).  It reads:
Media Label: B2D000249
Media GUID: {65da67b2-bf25-4692-bc45-2eb073d4c96b}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/1899 7:00:00 PM
Appendable Until: 12/31/1899 7:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: RD1000

--the Overwrite protection however is set to 'None' in Options/Media Management.  Is there anywhere else I may need to change settings?  This appears to be the cause of the problem I think.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
--the Overwrite protection however is set to 'None' in Options/Media Management

That should  be set to FULL or PARTIAL, not none

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Might want to try setting it to partial and unchecking the box for Prompt before overwriting.

Aron_Shevis
Level 4

Thanks.  So I now have Media Overwrite Protection:Full 
Overwrite Scratch media before overwriting recyclable

and in Media set properties:
Overwrite Protection period:0
Append Period:0

Is that correct?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In addition to Ben's suggestion, I'd also set the OPP to something other than 0, or BackupExec will always treat it as a scratch media  If you reuse the media every other day, set to one day, every other week, 6 days etc