cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBD backup vs. Hotadd

Jens_Nielsen
Level 4
Hi all

I have just installed BKEXEC 12.5 and tried to backup a vmware server as a test.
All our vmware servers are located on a NAS box, connected to our network.

When using the vmware backup method called "NBD" and using my physical BKEXEC server as the VCB proxy,
a granular backup of this 6GB server takes 1:05 hour!!!
I can see that the vmdk file is transfered to the VCB proxy server in only about 10 min, but what is going on the rest of the time???

When using the vmware backup method called "Hotadd" and using a virtual server as the VCB proxy, the same backup job only takes 21min!!

I have Antivirus on both VCB servers

Does anyone have an explanation for this differens in time?

Best regards

Jens Nielsen

3 REPLIES 3

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi Jens,

May we know your deployment diagram here please ?
I also having the same problem here. So did you finally create a VCB-Helper VM ?

It seems that the progress is stuck in the "Updating Catalogue" when you specify GRT restore.

Jens_Nielsen
Level 4
Hi Albert

Yes, when using a virtual VCB proxy you also need to make a VCB-HELPER.
I have done that and it works fine, but I was just wondering about the slow performance of a NBD backup.
My progress is stuck in "Exporting" for a long time when using NBD, even though the virtual mashine files are transfered to the physical VCB proxy (in NBD mode) .

I don't have a diagram right now.

Regards Jens

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi Jens,

May I know how did you set the hotadd mode ?

FYI, here it is my current deployment diagram.http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8875/esxi.jpg the slowness during the NBD is simply because the backup server is sitting in the different subnet than the SAN, the datastore is not directly accessible from the backup server which is serving as the VCB backup proxy + BE 12.5 Media server.