cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5, Iomega REV 120gb Internal SATA

Mezlo
Level 2
The DDS4 drive in one of my customer's servers died and we replaced it with an Iomega REV 120gb internal SATA drive (connected to an onboard Intel AHCI controller). They were running Backup Exec 10.x and I could not get it to backup to the Iomega at all so I had them upgrade to Backup Exec 12.5.

BE12.5 sees the Iomega as a backup device. However, when I do a backup it runs extremely slow (around 30mb/minute) but it completes successfully. However, if I configure the Iomega as a Backup 2 Disk folder, it backs up at around 700mb/min but the backup jobs fails with the following error:

Final error: 0xe0001209 - The backup-to-disk folder or the path for staging temporary data on the media server must be on an NTFS volume. Check the job log for details.

The Iomega media is listed as "REV UDF", not NTFS. However, my staging folder is set to C\TEMP, which is NTFS and is valid.

First, If I leave it as B2D, how do I get rid of the error message? Second, if I configure it as a backup device, how do I get the speed up to 700mb/min?

Mezlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mezlo
Level 2
I think GRT is what was causing the error on my B2D backups. I ended up downgrading to 11d (which doesn't use GRT unless you install an Exchange agent) and it works without issues.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1. You can change your C:\Temp folder to a folder on an NTFS volume and see if that fixes it after running a B2D job.
2. Format that internal Iomega as NTFS and it should work.

Mezlo
Level 2
I've tried changing the staging folder to another NTFS volume but it didn't help any. As for formatting the Iomega media, the system sees it as a CD drive so the only way to format it is to use Iomega's utility which doesn't give the option of what filesystem to use.

I think it's GRT that is causing the error message but I'm not backing up anything that uses GRT. I have another customer that is running BE 11.x and they aren't having any problems so I may downgrade this customer to 11 if we can't find another solution.

Mez

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I've just checked, and it's on the HCL for Backup Exec 12.5, so it is supported.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306831.htm

Try updating the drivers for Backup Exec, that clears up issues most of the time.

jjatsk
Level 2
Did you come up with a solution for this?? Did downgrading work?? I have the same exact setup and error that you are getting......

Mezlo
Level 2
I think GRT is what was causing the error on my B2D backups. I ended up downgrading to 11d (which doesn't use GRT unless you install an Exchange agent) and it works without issues.