cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup of DELL FS8600 - Backup Exec 15

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Hi,

We have a DELL FS8600 NAS which we are attempting to backup to tape using NDMP. From the BE15 server, I can see the NAS and volumes but there are no subdirectories listed below the volume - after some reading, this seems to be fairly common with NDMP.

Essentially the 'volume' is full of folders named after the year of their contents (eg. \1999\, \2005\ etc..).

I am trying to figure out how I could specify only a single folder at a time - the volume contains around 30 folders.

After selecting the volume in Backup Selection and clicking Modify, the only options available to configure are:

• Path
  • Tag as Business Critical (tickbox)
  • EXCLUDE

I have done some reading but can't really understand how to exclude all but a single folder (eg. Exclude all subfolders EXCEPT 2016). But I also cannot tell if this is even possible with the particular NAS/NDMP implementation.

Could someone help with this or at least point me in the right direction to get this going?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

3 REPLIES 3

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

from the admin guide, ndmp backup is working, but include exclude is depent from the nas you have.

Dell is not specified as possible for these options.

CraigV

Which document does this state it in?

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

be15 admin guide - appendix N "NDMP option" p1191 table N-4

from that table I googled the vendor, http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/bm/en/bmdhs1/dell-compellent-fs8600/FluidFS-V5.0-AG/NDMP-Exclude...

Configuring DMA clients with data-exclusion patterns might not work with a few backup vendors such as BackupExec and Netbackup. FluidFS v5.0.x adds options for handling exclude paths and patterns, which will be skipped when executing NDMP backup on the NAS volume.