cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup of EMC VNX 5300 (BE 2010r3)

oleav
Level 2

Hi,

I'm testing NDMP-backup of the VNX 5300, and have zone-ed the VNX Data Mover (NDMP-device) with the tape library (HP D2D VTL), So far so good, I can make full backups and backup of specific folders.

But - restore is a REALLY big hassle - I cannot browse or select folders and files from the backup set. 

And - It would be really nice if I could take a backup (or make replica) of the NDMP backup set to a locally attached tape, if poosible.

Anyone out there who has made this work? I would not like to restore the hole shebang (13TB) each time I restore a single file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Oleav,

what I can confirm is what you have already figured out: NDMP Redirection is only possible to another NDMP device of the same brand. This is because every manufacturer has its own NDMP format. 

I don't know if NBU or any other software offers this functionality. You should create a seperate forum post for this though.

If your original problem was solved please mark the solution in the forums.

Thanks!

/edit: Also: You cannot use more than one tape driver for a single job. One job will always go on one tape, it is not possible to split the data over several drives. It is only possible to run several jobs simultaneously where each job will occupy one tapedrive

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In the sesstings of the backup job. Under NDMP\EMC do you have "Enable file history" checked? This is necessary for restores of single elements.

Regarding the replica: This is called "duplication" in BE jargon. You can configure duplicates via "New job to duplicate backup sets" in the task list on the left side. It is possible to duplicate existing backup sets or to configure a duplication directly after a backup via policy.

oleav
Level 2

Perfect, that worked.

Now - I have made the "duplication" work as well. I tried it, and it works fine.

However - do you know if BE (it looks like it don't) or Netbackup - or maybe some other software, can restore NDMP-backups to a redirected folder, e.g. on the backupserver? BE says NDMP-restore must be done to NDMP-unit of the same brand.

An other question. I use a HP D2D as a VTL as my backup target for NDMP. It has 2 Drives, but only one is used during backup. When I do Quick Erase of my tapes, it uses both drives. How can I make the backup use 2 drives as well?

Best regards

Ole Anders Vik

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can use only one drive with the standard license of Backup Exec.

For more drives, you will need a LEO (library Extension Option) or the Library Unlimited Drive Option.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Oleav,

what I can confirm is what you have already figured out: NDMP Redirection is only possible to another NDMP device of the same brand. This is because every manufacturer has its own NDMP format. 

I don't know if NBU or any other software offers this functionality. You should create a seperate forum post for this though.

If your original problem was solved please mark the solution in the forums.

Thanks!

/edit: Also: You cannot use more than one tape driver for a single job. One job will always go on one tape, it is not possible to split the data over several drives. It is only possible to run several jobs simultaneously where each job will occupy one tapedrive