cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needed: A bit of hand holding with Exchange 2003 Restores.

Oliver_Prince
Level 3
I’m a bit stuck and need some advice. I apologise if some of these questions are a bit ‘simple’ but I’m getting stuck with some of Backup Exec’s Exchange features.

Firstly I’m running Backup Exec 10.0 with the Exchange agent on one server (2000 SP4) whilst my Exchange 2003 (SP2) resides on another (2003 SP1). After going through the book/manual which explains the process of Exchange backup and restore. I’ve hit a wall.

I’ve set my Backup server to backup my exchange resources as described in the book. After some successful backups of Exchange I tried a restore. This is where it’s going all-wrong. I keep getting with the following error:

Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job.

I’ve tried turning off AOFO when backing up and then tried restoring. Restoring was just the same but the backup this time skipped a couple of files as they were ‘in use’ Since the AOFO is off (and I’ve read in this forum that it should be with exchange 2003) how am I supposed to backup in-use files?

I also tried to restore to exchange’s RSG with no joy I get the same error. I’ve created the RSG found the store I wanted, didn’t mount it and started my restore using the settings described in the manual. It didn’t work. There is no mention of redirecting the files to the RSG store, so I assume it does that automatically, however I have tried to redirect it nonetheless with no joy.

Finally I have been receiving permissions problems with restore as well. I get The job failed with the following error: Access is denied. I tried the delegate control settings with Exchange to ensure the same account I use to backup with has ‘Exchange Full’ rights. Every time I change it I get “This account must be a member of the local admins group”. So I make it so but it still happens.

I’m getting really stuck please help.

Olly Prince.
2 REPLIES 2

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please note the following:
- Exchange Agent should be used for Exchange backups and restores.
- AOFO is not supported with database backups or restores.
- Exchange 2003 SP2 is not explicitly tested with Backup Exec 10.0. Refer the SCL.
Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264484

Additionally please refer the following technotes.

Title:
A redirected restore of an Exchange 2003 Server Mailbox Store to a Recovery Storage Group fails with the following error: "Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277462

Title:
Restore of Exchange 2003 mailbox store to a Recovery Storage Group fails with error "Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275586

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Oliver_Prince
Level 3
Hi, my 'exchnage agent' is installed on the server running Backup Exec not on my exchnage server. Is this correct?

Also i'm pretty sure i'm already using the exchnage agent... In the restore selection window my stores and mailboxes have icons of three yellow folders next to them rather than the 'server with camera' icon that denotes a snapshot. Even so i still can't backup exchnage files that are in use.