cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Storage Keeps going Offline w/ Backup-to-Disk job

David_Jennings
Level 5
I have BE 10 running on one of the company servers running 2k3 that is attached to a local tape drive. I have one job scheduled for 10 pm that is supposed to backup to a shared folder on the network and then a job at 11 pm that writes to the tape drive.

It was working fine for almost a month, then for some reason the 10 pm job started being missed or just wouldn't run saying that the drive was offline. I've tried unsharing and resharing the drive, unmapping and then remapping the drive using the same letter. I've manual changed the setting to online only to have the software change it back after about a minute or so. I can browse to the folder in explorer, just not in BE.

I've even tried making another shared folder and having BE point to that instead but when I do I get an error message stating that the system can't find the path specified even though I select it by browsing.

Is there anything I can do so that the software will see the drive as online?
4 REPLIES 4

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following steps to resolve the issue:

-Instead of using mapped drive, we suggest you to use UNC path to create backup-to-disk folder.

-Please create the Backup-to-Disk folder using UNC path (specify IP Address).

-Ping the remote server and check for connectivity issues.

-Enter the host name and IP address of the remote server on which Backup-to-Disk is to be created in hosts file of the Backup Server.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
I tried creating the folder using the UNC path. I'll find out by tomorrow if that works, but so far it has stayed online longer than the mapped one.

I'm not sure if I need to follow the last step as far as entering the information in the host file because the Backup Server is also the primary DNS server.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Thanks for the help. Using the UNC path proved to do the job. The backup has run 2 nights in a row to that folder w/o any problems at all.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update this post will be archived.

Regards,