cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issue

sjthomp
Level 3
I am trying to run all backup traffic on a second subnet used only for backup. I've added a dedicated switch for this purpose, and configured the second NIC on four servers and a ReadyNAS box on this subnet. I've configured Backup Exec to use only this subnet. Three of the servers seem fine, but one server and the ReadyNAS box aren't visible to Backup Exec on this subnet.

I can't find any problem with the NIC configuration on either missing device. I can both ping and open shares in both directions. (Well, I can't do either from the ReadyNAS because it doesn't have those abilities to begin with.) But BE does not find either device. The entries in the job log are:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job Completion Status -
Job ended: Monday, February 18, 2008 at 2:47:24 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000f02 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not exist on the selected subnet,  but the option to use any available network route was not selected. Try selecting an alternative network interface,  or allow Backup Exec to choose any available network interface.
Final error category: Resource Errors 

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3842

Errors -
Backup- SERVER4 The Media Server was unable to connect to remote machine: SERVER4 using selected subnet: 192.168.202.0.

Backup- NAS1 The Media Server was unable to connect to remote machine: NAS1 using selected subnet: 192.168.202.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A while ago, one of the Symantec Techs posted that the only way to reliably backup over a specific NIC/network was to create User Defined shares (specified by IP, not Computer Name) and use those

Apparently Engineering is aware of the problem, but no fix is available

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-19-2008 11:54 AM

sjthomp
Level 3
Ken, thanks for the info. It looks like that will work. One follow-up question...

I notice on the servers I set up as User Defined Shares that Shadow Copy Components are not available. (And, on our Exchange server, neither is the Information Store.) Is there a way to back up these components when using a User Defined Share?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Smiley Sad

Don't think so

sjthomp
Level 3
After attempting a backup with the user-defined selections, the server backed up sucessfully, but the ReadyNAS did not. Same error message. The device appears correctly by its IP under User-defined Selections and I can navigate it in the selection list with no trouble.

This is the most important thing we need to back up, since we're going to back up everything to the ReadyNAS and then back it up to tape. Any thoughts on why it still can't be found even with the user-defined selection in place?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry - looks like you are going to need to open an incident with Symantec Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-20-2008 10:16 AM