cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Backup Exec Install try to Access EMC Celerra NAS

Kyle_Sutherland
Level 3
My company recently purchased a Dell Powervault 124T Tape backup and we have it currently attached to one of our servers.  All the files that we want backed up for data recovery are on an EMC Celerra NAS.  I called EMC to get information as to how I should get this to work correctly and they had me set up an ndmp account on the celerra. 

I'm not entirely sure what to do from here.  I went to tools -> device and media operations -> add NDMP server and put in the ip address of it with port 10000 and the account set up through EMC, and it tells me that backup exec does not suppor tthe ndmp server vendor type or revision level. 

Am I doing something wrong? Am I using the wrong software?

Essentially my goal is to get data from my celerra over the network, to the server where backup exec is and onto the tape backup attached to it.
8 REPLIES 8

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
There are actually 2 ways to do this backup and I think that you are doing a little of each.  Smiley Wink
Method 1:  Attach the tape drive driectly to the NAS and use/purchase the 'NDMP agent" for Backup Exec.  This will allow Backup Exec to tell the device to do a backup to the locally attached tape device.  This is what you were doing with turning on NDMP and adding the machine under "NDMP servers".
Method 2: Backup the EMC NAS box over the network to a tape device attached to the Backup Exec server.  Turn off NDMP on the EMC NAS (this is critial for this method).  Go under selections in Backup Exec and create a user defined selection to the share on the NAS (\\IPaddress\share).

I hope that's clear for you and it helps out.

Kyle_Sutherland
Level 3
Method 2 is the way I'm looking for i believe.

Do you know off the top of your head how I should go about disablin NDMP on the celerra.

Also, I can't seem to find this selections thing you told me to go under.

How I came about this issue is that when I first tried doing this before talking to EMC was setting up a new backup job using the wizard and when I try to select the celerra it gives me a failed to login error.

Edit: I'm browsing under domain -> microsoft windows domain -> ourdomain.com - celerra and the box is greyed out andn it says selection of this item is disabled. Possible reasons are:

-The backup exec remote agent for windows systems on the remote computer is a previous or incompatible version.
-The remote agent is not isntalled on the remote computer
-A license for the remote agent is not installed on the media server
-You are not authorized to access this item.

Message Edited by Kyle Sutherland on 05-17-200712:09 PM

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
I have no idea how to turn NDMP off on that machine.
As far as what I was saying on how to select it.  When you see your selections, all the way at the bottom is 'user-defined selections'.  Right click on that and click on 'manage user-defined selections'.  The at the bottom where it says name put "\\EMCServer\Share" and click add.  Then click close and expland user-defined selection and select it there.

FYI....With this method your jobs will fail with an error saying that the remote agent isn't available although all the data will be backed up and you'll be able to restore from it.

Mark_Wain
Level 3
Kyle,

I had exactly the same issue.  You'll need to change the ndmp port on your windows backup server as described in the following link:

You should then be able to access your NAS via User-defined Selections (providing your backup user account has the necessary permissions).  I found that backing up the NAS was incredibly slow but rebooting the Control Station speeded things up.

Hope this helps.

Kyle_Sutherland
Level 3
Alright, I am slightly confused now.  Mark, do you have your tape backup connected directly to the celerra?  I am having EMC call me in a couple hours to disable the NDMP as Steve said in the second option he gave me. 

Perhaps you can describe to me your setup.  All I have right now is my celerra by itself and the tape backup connected to one of our generic servers that is running the backup exec software.

Mark_Wain
Level 3
Kyle,

I have the same setup in that the Celerra is connected to the network and the tape drive is connected to a Windows Server with Backup Exec installed on it.

Mark

Kyle_Sutherland
Level 3
Mark:

What you said seems contradictory to what Steve said before. 
"Method 2: Backup the EMC NAS box over the network to a tape device attached to the Backup Exec server.  Turn off NDMP on the EMC NAS (this is critial for this method).  Go under selections in Backup Exec and create a user defined selection to the share on the NAS (\\IPaddress\share)."

However, if you have a working implementation then I would like to follow what you did as closely as possible.  From what I am gathering, you have the same setup as me, and you have ndmp turned on as well, but you changed the port?  The default port is 10000 and I got an email from EMC saying the NDMP port is 10000 on the celerra.  Do you think I could trouble you to walk me through the steps you took to getting this working?

Mark_Wain
Level 3
Kyle,

All I did was change the NDMP port on my windows server as detailed in the url I gave you.  Following this change I was then able to backup our NAS.

Thanks

Mark