cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install of BE12 Using Tapes From Previous Install/Jobs

timb69
Level 3
  • We were using BE 11d and it crashed.
  • I have 3 sets of 24 tapes for rotation, using barcode.
  • We have a Tandberg Data Magnum 224 autoloader LTO-2.
  • We installed BE12 and I set up all the jobs.
  • My first 2 jobs worked fine, a full and incremental BU.

I then noticed that yesterday evening a job was kicking off, asking me for overwritable media. I checked and

noticed that most of my media was in the Retired Media Set. I have searched this forum and can't find a good

answer to this issue. I am running a long erase on the tapes,  hoping this fixes the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE obviously picks up those tapes have data, but doesn't know where they belong...hence putting them into Retired Media.

If you cataloged them, it would have populated the BEDB with that information.

An erase will delete all that information off the tape header, returning your tape to scratch.

Cheers,

Craig

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi,

BE obviously picks up those tapes have data, but doesn't know where they belong...hence putting them into Retired Media.

If you cataloged them, it would have populated the BEDB with that information.

An erase will delete all that information off the tape header, returning your tape to scratch.

Cheers,

Craig

timb69
Level 3

Thanks Craig for that info. Working on it now.

Tim

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you have selected a Global Overwrite setting of FULL, BackupExec treats all foreign tapes (not created by this install) as protected forever.

If you select Partial, all local tapes are protected as OPP and APP dictate, but all foreign tapes are presented as scratch.

So, if you will never need the data on those tapes, From  Tools\Option\Media Management select "partial"

timb69
Level 3

I just looked, and it was set to partial.

Thanks though for the good info!

Tim

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Generally, tapes wind up in the Retired media set after BE has trouble reading the tape.  do those media have high soft/hard error counts?  what about the tape drive?  Any alerts in BE?  anything in the Windows event logs?

timb69
Level 3

So what is the correct procedure then, when I put in the next set of 24 tapes from the previous install and previous jobs? I know BE12 won't recognize them, and it seems I am spinning my tires hesre trying to get the ones in there now to twork. I let the catalog job go for about 6 hours, and seems as though it did nothing.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't need to catalog the old tapes if you are not going to restore any data from them.  Get BE to recognise them by either scanning or inventorying them, then move them to either the apprioprate media set or the scratch media set

timb69
Level 3

Ahhhhh, gotcha, thanks a bunch. I ran an erase on all tapes in the retired media set ovaer the weekend, came in this morning and a job was in progress, queued status, and as soon as I moved the tapes to scratch media, the job continued.

Thanks all for the assistance!!!

CraigV

Hi,

If this helped, can you close off by marking the correct post as the solution please?

Thanks!