cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SQL BUExec selection problem

Tony_Norman
Level 2
We have recently added a new Windows 2003 server to our network. We have an existing 2003 Small Biz server acting as the DC, and this new server (ACCT) runs SQL 2005 for a new accounting system.

To do the initial install, I re-ran BUExec setup, and added a License Key for SQL Remote Agent. It reported back 'Remote Agent for SQL 2000' on the instllation screen. The install of that went without problem.

I installed a remote agent on ACCT (via the 'remote agent' install from rerunning setup again), it installed no problem, and it is running as a service on that server.

When I go and do a Backup, Selection, I can select 'File' components of ACCT, as well as the Shadow Copy Components. However, when I attempt to select the MS SQL Server selection, I get this error message:

"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of ACCT. A network connection to the server could not be established."

I could not find a similar thing in the help database here. I am hoping someone can assist here. Does it have something to do with an SQL2000/2005 conflict?

Thanks for your help on this,

TN
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

BE installed on Windows 2003 SBS and you want to backup SQL 2005 DBs on remote ACCT Server !!

BE SBS cannot backup remote database servers.The ONLY way to overcome this is to Upgrade to a Normal Version of the Software.(Non SBS version)

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Tony_Norman
Level 2
I will install software as noted this week and reply back.

Tony_Norman
Level 2
My mistake!

The backup software is NOT installed on the SBS server.

A 'standard' copy of Backup Exec 10d is installed on our third server running W2K3 Server.

Any other suggestions?

In the Help, About License Info, it lists Agent for MS SQL 2000 as 'Installed' and it lists 'Agent for MS SQL Server' as installed.

Thanks,

TN

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Tony,

Have you installed The backup software on the SBS server?

It should be installed on SBS Server.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Tony_Norman
Level 2
Hello there...thanks for your time on this.

No, the software is installed on 'server2'.

Our layout is this:

Server 1 = SBS server (W2K3 SBS)
Server 2 = Data server (W2K3 std), tape drive attached to this server, BU Exec running on this server
Server 3 = Acct server (W2K3 std), SQL database on this server.

Moving the software to 'server1' would be quite a thing to do. Are we certain that would help this issue? Can you elaborate as to how this would help?

Thanks,

TN

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Tony,

It seems the software is installed on a win 2003 server and SQL 2005 is on another remote server.

Follow the steps below in order to have successful backups of SQL 2005 db:

- Install hotfix 6 on the backup exec media server from the link below:

10.1.5629 Hotfix 6 - SQL 2005 (Yukon) support for Backup Exec 10d
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280204

- then reinstall the remote agent on the SQL 2005 server.
- A reboot is needed.

Check the results after that. Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.