cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Symantec Backup Exec and Licensing

Invader
Level 2

Hello All,

This is my 1st post here so if I'm in the wrong place kindly point me to where I need to go!

We are currently utilizing Symantec Backup Exec 11d - Media Server: Version 11.0 Rev. 7170 to backup remote Windows 2003 Servers. I have read that in order to backup Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 we will need to upgrade to the latest, greatest version of Backup Exec.

What I really need to know is what kind of licensing we need to purchase. Currently, we have 10 Jobs that run [5 INC and 5 Full - so 5 remote agents]. There is a very strong possibility of this number growing in the very near future. Does the software license control how many agents or users I can have installed remotely? If there is a table somewher that tells what each licensing model contains and how much it costs that would be ideal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I have read that in order to backup Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 we will need to upgrade to the latest, greatest version of Backup Exec

BE2010 and above supports Win 2008R2.  Win 2012 is not yet supported by any version of BE.

BE2012 SP1a is the latest version of Backup Exec.

Backup Exec licensing is per server and not per backup job.

So to backup a Windows\Linux server you need a  Remote agent for Windows\Linux per server.

To backup any application like (SQL or Exchange) you need an Agent for Application & Database.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178483 - Backup EXec 2012 Licensing Getting Started

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479 - Backup Exec 2012 Licensing Guide

AmolB

I have read that in order to backup Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 we will need to upgrade to the latest, greatest version of Backup Exec

BE2010 and above supports Win 2008R2.  Win 2012 is not yet supported by any version of BE.

BE2012 SP1a is the latest version of Backup Exec.

Backup Exec licensing is per server and not per backup job.

So to backup a Windows\Linux server you need a  Remote agent for Windows\Linux per server.

To backup any application like (SQL or Exchange) you need an Agent for Application & Database.

Invader
Level 2

So I will need:

1 Backup Exec License for each server that I install Backup Exec on

1 Backup Exec Remote Agent License for each Remote Agent that I install

Is there a pricing table or something that I can look at? I imagine they are sold in lots and not 1 by 1.

AmolB

You need only 1 Core Product license for the Media server (server on which you

will install core product). 1 Remote agent license for every additional server that you may want

to backup

Invader
Level 2

Is there a pricing table or something that I can look at? I imagine they are sold in lots and not 1 by 1.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The licensing guide is what you need. (linked above)

Pricing is given to you be your reseller, as there are other factors that affect pricing like 30% specials for upgrades, your existing symantec install base, rewards programs, etc.  You can find list pricing all over the web though on sites like cdw, insight, etc.`

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=be_offers