cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New drives added to the selection list automatically?

Bob_Sponge
Level 2

Just found out that newly connected drives with new letters are automatically added to the backup selection list of the server.

Is there any way to prevent that?

We have many TB of data to backup and currently I run a full backup every month on an external HD.

Then I use other external HD for the incrementals daily backups. We also have external drives for other uses (archiving and storing)

Just found out when adding a new HD for the incrementals that BE was backuping the backup files.

There are a lot of annoyances in BE 2012 and along with the new server centric jobs I would say I had enough to move to a new backup solution.

I thought moving from 12.5 to 2012 would be a geat move but it is an epic fail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. It does not add any new drives to the selection list.  It will show the new drive but it would not be selected.  Make sure you do the following

1) Uncheck the server.  Make sure that all the boxes are not checked.

2) Select the C: drive by checking it and any other selection.  The checkbox for the server should slow a slash rather than a tick.

If you did not do Step 1 and just deselect a drive, then any new drive will be added to the selection list.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes if you select the top level objects within the server instead of selecting the whole server then it won't pick up any extra volume objects as they are added.

Of course make sure you have good change control covering when you add a volume that you want to backup if you do this.

Bob_Sponge
Level 2

It is not possible if I uncheck the top object which is the server itself then check a drive letter it checks back the server object.

[/] Server
     [/] C:
     [ ] D:
     [ ] E:
     [/] F:

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is correct.  It indicates a partial selection of the server.  Note that by not selecting the top level, you got to manage the addition/removal of the selection of the lower level.  When you add or remove a drive, you got to change your selection list accordingly.

Bob_Sponge
Level 2

That's the point even if the top object is partially selected when I add a new drive with a new letter let's say p: it is still added automatically added to the selection. I don't want that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. It does not add any new drives to the selection list.  It will show the new drive but it would not be selected.  Make sure you do the following

1) Uncheck the server.  Make sure that all the boxes are not checked.

2) Select the C: drive by checking it and any other selection.  The checkbox for the server should slow a slash rather than a tick.

If you did not do Step 1 and just deselect a drive, then any new drive will be added to the selection list.

bhaugurav
Level 2
Employee

You can use Selection Details tab for this.

When you uncheck the server and select specific drive, it will not dynamically include any drive(that you have added later). See attachment Browse_SelectionInclude.jpg and Details_SelectionInclude.pg.

And when you check the server checkbox, and manually excludes specific drive, Backup Exec considers this as dynamic inclusion and will add the everything other than excluded drive. See attachment Browse_SelectionExclude.jpg and Details_SelectionExclude.pg.

Please let me know, if you if you still have any doubt.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming my last answer.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok I have worked this out

and pkh is on the correct track

If you accept the default selection of everything from the serevr object when you first create the backup job and then deselect resources then the rules in place on the job are

Include *.* (everything)

Exclude specific deselected items

This will mean that any new resource that appears in the system will be part of the include as no specific exclude exists for it. So automatic backup will take place.

However if you deselect everything and then only select the recources you want to backup then no inlcude everything statement is created you just get

Include specific selected items

This will mean that any new resources will not have an include and therefore not be backed up, so not automatic selection

You can see these rules by looking in the selection details tab.

Bob_Sponge
Level 2

Colin by looking at the selection it is indeed Include *.* means I will have to redo my selections.

I think the UI should display when *.* is on instead of just "partially selected".