cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tapes with error 0xe0000f16 as result

Evil_Knievel
Level 2
Hi,

I just bought  some new tapes for my HP DAT72 streamer. But after the first backup job I got a 0xe0000f16 error.

I also upgraded the firmware but after putting the streamer back online he was recognized just fine.

What did i forget?

This is the error:
Job Log: BEX_SB026_01618.xmlJob Log for TAPE

Completed status: Failed    See error(s) 
      Expand AllCollapse All 

Job Information
Job server: SB026
Job name: BACKUP >> TAPE
Job started: dinsdag 15 september 2009 at 23:00:02
Job type: Backup
Job Log: BEX_SB026_01618.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 15-9-2009 23:00:03
V-79-57344-33035 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: dinsdag 15 september 2009 at 23:00:03
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000f16 - The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3862

Errors
      Click an error below to locate it in the job log
V-79-57344-33035 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Evil_Knievel
Level 2
 The tapes weren't write protected. The solution was very simple, i just restarted al the backup exec services and the backup job works like a charm!

Maybe is had to do with the streamer that I switched back online?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Evil Knievel,

This might help:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290960.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

to expand on the Tech Note in Craig's answer a little

if your job is defined as Append only (not Append, Else Overwrite) then the tape that is mounted must already have a backup set in the same media set, and be within the APP period

New tapes can only be Overwritten, not Appended to

Evil_Knievel
Level 2
 Hi,

The properties are set to Overwrite for this media set. I already followed the instructions on the page CraigV suggested but that didn't bring me any further. Could it be something stupid like a write protection? Are these new tapes write protected by default? Or maybe the wrong type of tapes? I've bought 4mm 72 dat tapes (original HP).

CraigV
...stupid question, but is the tab on the tape not accidentally set to write protect?
New tapes by default are all scratch. You could format them if you wanted, but I've never done so.

Evil_Knievel
Level 2

With a tab, you mean a fysical tab or some setting in backup exec? I don't think (not sure if the customer accidentally changed it) the switch on the tapes is changed. What is the standard position of the write protect switch? In other words; is a new tape standard write protected or not?

L__Quarton
Level 4

This isn't a tape/media problem; it's a hardware problem. 
Backup Exec can't see or access that tape drive. 

That could be lots of things - cabling, SCSI card, tape drive itself.
I would check your drivers on the tape drive and the SCSI card it's plugged into. 

CraigV
The tape will get removed from the box with the tab open. This allows the tape to be written. If the tab is closed, it will show an oragne tab (something to that effect), and this prevents the tape frombeing written too.
Check this out. Also check out under the Media tab that the tapes aren't in the incorrect media group that's preventing them from being overwritten (like a monthly group for example), and under Tools --> Options --> Media (I think it is), you can set the overwrite to look at scratch media first. I will dig up the setting and edit this post when I can if you don't come right.

Evil_Knievel
Level 2
 The tapes weren't write protected. The solution was very simple, i just restarted al the backup exec services and the backup job works like a charm!

Maybe is had to do with the streamer that I switched back online?

L__Quarton
Level 4
Yep - that will do it alright.  
  If you power down an attached tape drive, or have a power interrupt for any other reason,  you should stop/start B.E.