cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Veritas and IT area and having problems

Jaime_Pagan
Level 2
I have several media sets in my application, one of the media sets has its tapes moved to a different media set. I am afraid that things are not being written to the right tapes and do not know how to fix this.

All of these needs were handled by a consultant that was let go. I inherited all of this and have never worked with any of this software before, so go easy on me if you can help me at all.

If this helps this is my e-mail: pagan (@) dtwresearch (.) com
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
From your description I think the main problem you have is that you're (or should I say the consultant) trying to use the media sets to control which tapes are used by which jobs, however that's not how media sets work.

Media sets are used to control the overwrite and append periods of the tapes only, so for instance your weekly backups would have a fairly short overwrite protection period, say a few days long, where as your monthly backups would have a longer period, close to a month long, or perhaps a year depend on the rotation being used.

When the backup job runs Backup Exec selects a tape from your library based on 1) which tapes are currently available to be overwritten, and 2) of those, which ever tape is the oldest in terms of time since last being used. The media set the tapes are in currently is ignored, and once the job begins the tape is then put into the media set relevant to that job. The only exception is with append jobs, where once a tape has been used initially by one media set type job, only jobs in the same media set can append data to it until such time as the protection period expire.

If you want to control which tapes are used by which backup jobs, your best bet is to parition your tape library, and then point the different backup jobs to the specific partitions.

Jaime_Pagan
Level 2
As I pointed out before I am completely new to this Veritas Backups and to IT to boot, so I will take this information given to me and see if I can make heads or tails out of it to see if I can resolve the problem.

Keith I do appreciate your input very much, Thank You.

I will post if it has been resolved once I know exactly what it is I am supposed to do.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you post exact details of what you're trying to do I'll see if I can help, but basically, if we said you have two lots of jobs, one for daily backups during the week, one for weekly backups, and one for monthly backups. Lets say you want the first 5 slots to be used for the dailys, the next 5 for the weekly and the last 5 for the monthlys.

If you go into Devices within Backup Exec, you'll see your drive and below it you'll see the Changer, within which there are the slots within it. Under Robotic Libraries if you right click the drive you'll see an option to Configure Partitions, select this and you'll see the list of partitions, then to create the partitions listed above, simply click on slot 6 and 11, and that will create the three partitions.

You'll then need to adjust the backup jobs to point to the relevant partitions, so for instance your daily backups will point to the device ' ' and so on for each of the jobs.

Hope that explains things. If you look in the program files folder of your backup exec installation their should be a beadmin.pdf file which is the Administrators guide. If you have a look at it that should help you understand how the software works.

Jaime_Pagan
Level 2
Thank You Keith I think this will help a great deal I do appreciate your help and concern, God Bless my friend.

Jaime_Pagan
Level 2
Keith Thanks a million, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but it has been a bit hectic here since I took over this area. Your response to my problem was spot on, followed your suggestions and got things working back in order again. I appreciate your timely and precise information. You were a god sent to me.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Hey Jaime - if Keith's help was a godsend, do the guy a favour and mark his response as a correct answer - give him some points.

Also - it acts as a flag for the rest of us to check out his post because it might have some useful info for any of us.

Cheers