cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'No Loss Restore'

Nathan_Bates
Level 2
Hello,

I have an exchange 2000 Server, and I have only been backing up the information store.

I had someone who accidentally deleted alot of email and I need to run a restore. I have exchange setup on another box (recovery server) and I need to redirect the exchange restore to it.

When I run the restore w/ the redirect option it complains about having the 'No Loss Restore' option selected. If I run the job with that option removed, will I loose any data on my existing exchange 2000 server??

The restore is from a week ago, but that would still be bad.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Nathan_Bates
Level 2
anyone at all?

I just want to know if im going to loose date if I select that no loss restore option.. will it affect my live server?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
So to confirm:

You are restoring to a server on a seperate server, on a different network, an old tape?

This can have no effect on your live server, and is safe regardless of the "no loss restore" option set.

The bigger issue you will have is dealing with the fact the server must have the same name as your existing Exchange server, or Exchange will be unable to mount the database.

The "no loss restore" refers to whether to try and keep existing transaction logs and replay them, the sort of thing you might do if you corrupted a database and want to restore it from last night's backup.

In general, you never want to do a "no loss restore".

Nathan_Bates
Level 2
Sorry the wording was just a little confusing.

Thank you, you anwsered my question.