cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SQL DB Backup Options

mtnman1000
Level 3

I have just installed SQL Server 2012 SP2 and have installed the Backup Exec 2012 agent. I see the server in the console and the credential test works fine. When I try to setup a backup for just the databases, I see no options to do this. Only to backup the disks. The SQL server agent and database agents are enabled on the BE server.

Any idea what I am missing? I was expecting to see options to backup only databases.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 only support Server 2012 R2 from, I think, SP3 onwards.  If you are not SP4, run LiveUpdate a couple of times to update to SP4 and the latest hotfixes.  Push out the remote agent after this.

If you do a manual install, run the remote agent utility at the remote server and check that it is publishing correctly to the media server.  Also, on the BE console, click on the remote server and establish trust again.

If everything is set up correcly, you should see a Microsoft SQL Databases node when you expand the server with SQL databases.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Make sure your Backup Exec Service Account has rights to SQL as outlined below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130255#SQL_Agent

Thanks!

mtnman1000
Level 3

The problem appears a bit deeper. When I try to go through the wizard to make selections there is nothing showing up to choose from including drives. If I hover over the box next to the computer name in backup selection it says "this item and all children are not included". There is no plus sign to expand to make any selections. The remote server is running Server 2012 R2. Does BE 2012 support R2?

All credential checks look good. The system account is a domain admin. I even added it to the local admins group on the remote server. Also completely turned off the firewall and no anti virus is running.

I should add that when I tried to push the agent it wouldn't install so I did it manually. I think the firewall may have been blocking but I've turned that off.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 only support Server 2012 R2 from, I think, SP3 onwards.  If you are not SP4, run LiveUpdate a couple of times to update to SP4 and the latest hotfixes.  Push out the remote agent after this.

If you do a manual install, run the remote agent utility at the remote server and check that it is publishing correctly to the media server.  Also, on the BE console, click on the remote server and establish trust again.

If everything is set up correcly, you should see a Microsoft SQL Databases node when you expand the server with SQL databases.

mtnman1000
Level 3

SP4 did the trick. Thanks a lot.