cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No install via Terminal Services???

DavanW
Level 3

I am preparing to install BE 2012 this weekend.

I just ran the Pre-Installation Environment Check, and it says that installing via Terminal Services connection is not supported.

My question, will I still be able to proceed with the install even though it's not supported, or will it not allow this at all?

There is no way I can go in and stand in the refrigerated datacenter to do this install from the console.  I am not going to consider installing other remote services such as VNC or Teamviewer.

So what am I left with, short of evaluating a competitor's product such as Tivoli, Acronis or Nova?

TIA!

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Why not using the mstsc /console switch?

Just in case, Symantec wants access to all registry keys, that sometimes terminal services doesn't give you.  It makes troubleshooting fun!  

DavanW
Level 3

I always use console mode when connecting via rdp, however it still throws the same warning.

Will I be able to proced with the install, or will it not allow the install to run?

Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

The install usually works fine.  Symantec has thos notification on a lot of their products.  SEP does this too.

In most cases, I ignore it.  I can think of only 1 case in 10yrs where a support case said the cause was from installing via terminal services without the console switch.  And I think that was with Mail Security or SAV 8/9x.

But best practice is best practice.  Does your server have a RAC card?  iLO, DRAC, etc?  Do you have a KVM over IP system from Avocent or Raitan?