cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing my last week-end job in restore tree

Steve_Dion_2
Level 2
Hi,

I've been asked to do a restore from last week-end backup at one of my custumers, and it turned out that i don't see the date under the folder tree in the restore tab.

The job from last week-end have been successfull, and i've looked into the log and everything seem to have been backed up properly.

I don't see the date on the drive i need to restore, but for the same job, same backup, u see it under different drivers. (i.e : C, D, E .. i see the catalog... but not G: which is my most important drive).

Does someone have any clue, it make no sense to catalog the tape again, it was 900Gb of data.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Was the data on the g:\ backed up to a different tape to what the other drives were? Since you're saying the amount of data was 900GB I have to assume you have more than one tape in use, since to my knowledge there aren't any current tapes which will handle that much capacity (unless by some miracle you managed to get 2.25:1 compression on an LTO3!).

Make sure you have run the catalog job on the second tape used, if you're not sure have a look through the job log, and you should be able to find a reference in there somewhere which says which other tape was used. Note that unlike the first tape which is clearly listed at the beginning of the log, the entry telling you where Backup Exec has changed tapes tends to be very minimal and can be hard to find if you're not looking for it.

I know it's a pain, but if you know that the data is there on the tape but Backup Exec has decided not to list it in the restore selections then doing a catalog job on the correct tape is probably the only way forward.

Steve_Dion_2
Level 2
Thanks Keith,

Your right, 3 tapes have been used.

So if i start a catalog, since all 3 tapes have been used, they will all been catalogued right ???

The thing i noticed is that its doing that for all my weekly jobs. I'm running 2 exacts same jobs (2 differents name) ... at the same time, on 2 drives, can it be a problem ???

Thanks again ;o)

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes I think it should do, though you can confirm that easily enough by checking the byte count to see if it lists it correctly as reading 900GB of data.

As to the second point, I guess it could be connected but I don't know, we don't have any 2 drive setups so I don't have anything definitive to compare it to.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't kow about the I'm running 2 exacts same jobs (2 differents name) , but at one point I had 6 DLT IV drives on three SCSI channels on a dedicated Backup Server. Never had any problems running 6 jobs at once (just had to make sure there was plenty of RAM. BEWS is a RAM hungry app)

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Steve,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks!