cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications with BE 9.1

Darren_G
Level 2
 Hello, I have a DC running Server 2003, and we are using Back-up Exec 9.1. I have set up notifications for completed back ups. The thing is that we have a third party host our web/emails for us. they have provided us with the SMTP address, but if im not mistaken, it requires authentication. How would I get this smtp to work for notifications within backup exec? we are not recieving any as of now, nor did we ever. Any idea..

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

c_john
Level 3
 As pkh says there's no option in BE9.1 to authenticate to the SMTP server, however I can send you an email from my PC so Backup Exec can as well. The IP address the ISP has told you is the address for Outlook to send out through, what you need is the IP address of the ISP's server that recieves email for you.

Open dos prompt.
nslookup <cr>
set type=mx
yourdomain.com    <-NOTE: no www

Non-authoritative answer:
yourdomain.com  MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = mx1.yourdomain.com

mx1.yourdomain.com      internet address = 10.23.42.11

That is the IP address to enter, in this example 10.23.42.11
Obviously you replace yourdomain.com with your own domain name and get a different IP address.

This gets past any outbound security of your ISP's mail server since you are creating inbound mail, if they have anti-spam filters on their inbound mail it might still get blocked but there is a fair chance of it getting through.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I am afraid SMTP authentication is not possible under BE 9.1. For later releases, like BE 12.5 or 2010, this is possible.

Stephen_P
Level 3
 Yes, That might be tough / impossible.  Standard setup for smtp is server = mail.yourhost.com or smtp.yourhost.com, with email address@yourhost.com as the password.  Dont think this will work, it assumes you are sending mail on the local lan, as I recall. If not, set up smtp with correct host parameters.

Stephen

RonnyE
Level 4
 If you are running Server 2003, you can setup SMTP sending service in IIS, then make use of the local SMTP service to send out the notification emails.

Thanks
Ronny

c_john
Level 3
 As pkh says there's no option in BE9.1 to authenticate to the SMTP server, however I can send you an email from my PC so Backup Exec can as well. The IP address the ISP has told you is the address for Outlook to send out through, what you need is the IP address of the ISP's server that recieves email for you.

Open dos prompt.
nslookup <cr>
set type=mx
yourdomain.com    <-NOTE: no www

Non-authoritative answer:
yourdomain.com  MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = mx1.yourdomain.com

mx1.yourdomain.com      internet address = 10.23.42.11

That is the IP address to enter, in this example 10.23.42.11
Obviously you replace yourdomain.com with your own domain name and get a different IP address.

This gets past any outbound security of your ISP's mail server since you are creating inbound mail, if they have anti-spam filters on their inbound mail it might still get blocked but there is a fair chance of it getting through.

John

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@John, It will not work.  You cannot send mail directly to a mailbox, i.e. in-coming mail server without a SMTP server.

@Ronny, In most cases, unless you have an arrangement with the ISP, it will not accept mail from an unknown SMTP server.  Most ISP has tightened up mail security to thwart spammers.