cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NtFrs Event ID 13521

Charlotte_Chase
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 9.1 on a Windows 2000 Service. I have been working on setting up and configuring DFS (Distributed File System) and FRS (File Replication Service).

I have been receiving the following Event:

Event Type:Error
Event Source:NtFrs
Event Category:None
Event ID:13521
Date:2/7/2006
Time:11:10:26 AM
User:N/A
Computer:NEWYORK
Description:
The File Replication Service cannot enable replication on the comptuer NEWYORK until a backup/restore application completes.

A backup/restore application has set a registry key that prevents the File Replication Service from starting until the registry key is deleted or the system is rebooted.

The backup/restore application may still be running. Check with your local administrator before proceeding further.

The computer can be rebooted by clicking on Start, Shutdown, and selecting Restart.

WARNING - DELETING THE REGISTRY KEY IS NOT RECOMMENDED! Applications may fail in unexpected ways.

The registry key can be deleted by running regedit.

Click on Start, Run, and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, NtFrs, Parameters, Backup/Restore,"Stop NtFrs from Starting". On the toolbar, click on Edit and select Delete. Be careful! Deleting a key other than "Stop NtFrs From Starting" can have unexpected sideeffects.

It appears that Backup Exec is creating the key mentioned but not deleting it when it completes.

I am looking for a reliable solution to this, can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Charlotte!

Backup and/or Restore DFS data through the file system rather than to the User share.
Restoring DFS data to the User share will cause beremote.exe to write "Stop NtFrs from Starting" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore. Replication will not occur until the computer is rebooted.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Charlotte!

Backup and/or Restore DFS data through the file system rather than to the User share.
Restoring DFS data to the User share will cause beremote.exe to write "Stop NtFrs from Starting" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore. Replication will not occur until the computer is rebooted.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Charlotte_Chase
Level 2
This resolved our issue. I removed the DFS Share from the backup selection and deleted the key. The key has not regenerated.

Thanks.