cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Null backupset. Possible reason: Cataloging SW Compressed ArcServe Tape.

Chris_Hansen
Level 3
When I do a catalog of any tape, I get the below message:

Catalog- Servername\Shadow?Copy?Components - VSS Writer File System
Null backupset.  Possible reason:
Cataloging SW Compressed ArcServe Tape. Backupexec does not support this operation

I get no errors when I run a backup and this happens on multiple servers, backup servers and versions of 11d.
I am able to restore data, but have not had the opportunity to try a full server restore.  When I check the Shadow Copy Components, there is no selection list.  I checked my backups and I do have Shadow Copy selected and again, I get no errors in the backup log. 

I do not and never have run ArcServe and have used both new and used tapes and DLT, LTO LTO 2 and LTO 3 tapes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Chris
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Chris,

What revision of Backup Exec are you currently running? Also what patches do you have installed?

Chris_Hansen
Level 3
I am running the following:
1st server = Rev. 6235 - no installed updates

2nd server = Rev. 6235 -  up to hotfix 21

3rd server = Rev. 6235 -  Service Pack 1 - up to hotfix 24

Chris_Hansen
Level 3
I'm glad to see that all of the money I spend on maintenance gets me such good support.  What to do?  Set aside a full day to wait on the phone for a tech, or post problems that never get looked at by any Symantec techs?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Chris,

First off the forums are Peer to Peer only. Symantec employees will post from time to time when we are available to do so.  If you need imediate support please contact us using one of the ways listed in the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/contact_techsupp.jsp?pid=15047

But as for your issue, here are a couple things to try.

1. Turn off Use Storage Based Media. (Tools - Options - Catalog)

2. Stop all the Backup Exec services, rename the catalogs folder (default location is in the install directory) to catalogs.old.  Start the services back up, re-catalog the media you wish to restore from then attempt your restore.

3. Also, are you running a verify on the backup jobs?