cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressing old netbackup catalog images

DPO
Level 6

I''m running NetBackup 7.6 envrionment. I would like to compress old images let say clients that were backedup before 90 days. I had enabled this in master server properties and restarted NBU.

Our catalog size is 300GB and we get very less restore requests so planning to compress old catalog.

1) How would I ensure that NBU compresses the old images (by the way on my linux master ncompress is also installed)

2) There are few .lck files and I'm sure few images could be depending on older images. How would I compress in that situation

3) Suppose if I compress the catalog, will I be able to browse the image details in BAR ? so that at the time of restore i can uncompress it.

4) How much time it will take to compress or uncompress

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NBU35
Level 6

Better yu enable compression of catalog at Netbackup level.

Activity Monitor>> Host properties>> master server>> Global Attiributes>> compress catalog interval.

enable this option and let NBU do compression of catalog.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NBU35
Level 6

Better yu enable compression of catalog at Netbackup level.

Activity Monitor>> Host properties>> master server>> Global Attiributes>> compress catalog interval.

enable this option and let NBU do compression of catalog.

DPO
Level 6

I can do that ..but before doing so I would like to get clarification on the following.

1) How would I ensure that NBU compresses the old images (by the way on my linux master ncompress is also installed)

2) There are few .lck files and I'm sure few images could be depending on older images. How would I compress in that situation

3) Suppose if I compress the catalog, will I be able to browse the image details in BAR ? so that at the time of restore i can uncompress it.

4) How much time it will take to compress or uncompress. I know compression runs while image cleanup runs but would like to know how much time it will take to uncompress.

NBU35
Level 6

Let NBU compress the images in catalog by itself, what ever value be defined in compress catalog interval parameter, netbackup will compress all images older than that vaule(in days). but if you still want to compress manually, then use following command.

bpimage -compress -client <clientname>

Netbackup compress the data when it performs its house holding activities, if you can see Image cleanup jobs, it signifies NBu is doing its house holding activities.

if you compress the images with bpimage, you can still check them from BAR, as when  you browse the backups, images required for that are uncompressed by netbackup.

regarding time for compression, I believe it is entirely dependent on size of your data.