cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM Drivers versus Veritas Drivers

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
Hi,

I have a new tape drive, not yet installed, that is not listed on the HCL for BUE 9.1. It is however on the HCL for 10.0, but I really don't want to upgrade.

Dell assures me that the tape drive should work fine with BUE 9.1 using the OEM drivers. However, reading here and elswhere, I am told that you should only use Veritas Drivers if you want to have 100% functionality of your tape drive.

Is there really a big difference between OEM drivers and the Veritas Drivers? Would I be taking any chances with the integrity of my backups by using the OEM drivers? Our data is mission critical, so I am nervous about taking any chances with it. Thanks.

Charlie
1 REPLY 1

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

If the tape drive is not listed in HCL then Symantec does not gurantee the proper functionning of the tape drive with Backup Exec.

Usually it is recommended to use Symantec's own drivers with Symantec Backup Exec. However, you may try to install OEM drivers and check if it functions properly.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.