cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFO - Exception Error

Walter_Casini1
Level 3
Hello Everybody !

Do you encounter this error below? Appreciate your help.

OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\THDB-FO\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\THDB-FO\E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\THDB-FO\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).

Thanks a lot.
Walter
10 REPLIES 10

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

This issue could occur if the OFO (Open File Option) is not getting enough quiet time to initialize due to the drive been backed up is too active, either by user activity or service activity.

There are multiple utilities that will cause the drive to be active, for example Anti virus programs.

Please lower the Minimum Quite Time for OFO to 2 or 3 seconds, on the machine with OFO agent issue.
Please refer following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/194940.htm

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.null

Walter_Casini1
Level 3
Thanks for the quick response.

I did that already last 2 days ago from 5 to 3 seconds but still the same error will appear.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Well I guess you should try 2 seconds ;)

How have you set up the cache file location? Is it default or have you specified the location? If you have the default setting then create a directory on one of your drives (preferably one that is least "busy") and point the cache file there. See how that goes.

When are you running your backups? Hopefully not during business hours. Sorry for asking this question btw.

Walter_Casini1
Level 3
I will set it to 2 seconds, we will see the result tomorrow.
On cache file location, it is the default settings.
I will not touch this, since the backup exec is installed in Domain Controller 2 which is least busy.

The backup is running from 4:00AM but it will last to 9:00AM which some users are starting to work.

I cannot move it earlier because other application is running on closing transaction.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if your issue is resolved after reducing the minimum quiet time to 2.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Do you run backup exec's database maintenance, and if you do, at what time? The default time is at 4am. Maybe change this to an earlier time (less disk activity).

Walter_Casini1
Level 3
I already set it to 2 but now after the backup, I still have the error.

As you suggested, I will change the backup exec database maintenance from 4:00AM to another time...I put it on 12:00AM...We will see tomorrow after the backup what is the result...I let you know...

Thanks.

Walter_Casini1
Level 3
I already changed the database maintenance from 4:00AM to 12:00AM, last 28OCt2005.

Yesterday 29Oct2005, I still got this expception error.

"Backup - THDB-FO
Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume. OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\THDB-FO\E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP)."

Today 30Oct2005, I don't have anymore. I don't know tomorrow if will still come out...but i still have this other error below, I think this is different from error above.

OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\THDB-DS1\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP). OFO: Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected.

Thanks for your inputs.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
I'm happy to hear that we are getting further with the quiet time issue. Since you are still having issues, have you tried changing it to snap one volume at a time? See the link below:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264464.htm

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.