cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST contains thousands of 0 byte files - very slow catalog jobs that fail

Moltron1
Level 5

Hi  -

I recently upgraded from BE 2012 to BE 2014.  Then things went to hell, and after getting nowhere with several support cases, I decided to completly remove BE and start from scratch.  Well I'm trying to catalog my OST devices, and its taking forever.

I know cataloging takes lots of time.  But I'm cataloging an OST storage container that only has a months worth of backup.  In terms of raw uncompressed data on that, its about 6.5 TB.  The catalog job runs for almost 2 days and then fails.

The strange thing is -  If I browse to the OST share on my Data Domain I can see all the storage images (the backup files) for this storage container.  There are 3,364 total files in there.  Only 205 of them have a byte count!  The rest of the 3,157 of them show 0KB.  I'm guessing that the cataloging process has to go through all of these files, even the 0 byte ones?

So my questions are... is this normal to have thousands of 0 byte files on my OST device?  And should cataloging be this slow?  I mean, I've got the option to store the catalogs with the media already selected, it always has been.  That is said to bring you from hours of cataloging to minutes according to the admin guide.  Seems like maybe if those 0 byte files could be erased the cataloging might speed up.

Also as I said above the catalog jobs fail.  Here are the error messages below (And no I didn't terminate this job)

Catalog
The media operation was terminated by the user.
V-79-57344-33029 - Error - Mount failed.
Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.
V-79-57344-33029 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to log a support case with Symantec for them to take a look at the problem.

Moltron1
Level 5

I opened a case about a week ago.  Still havent talked with anyone at Symantec.  In one OST container, I've deleted all of the backup sets.  Then I ran an inventory and catalog on the OST device and it is still running, for over a day now.

Any other ideas?