cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX Retore Speed

Sascha_D
Level 3
Im running BE 10.0 Rev 5520 with a mac agent v5.045 on OSX 10.3. Both machines have GiG-E cards and during a backup i get upto 900MB/min but i tried a restore today of approx 150MB and get a rate of 2-5MB/min. That is just not acceptable. I may need to restore my entire drive due to curruption. Thats almost 600GB, it would take me 83 DAYS!!! Anything anyone can think of to fix this?
5 REPLIES 5

Doni_Katz_2
Level 3
In my very limited tests of a 10/100 10.3 client, I'm backing up at an avg of 225MB/min, restoring at 10MB/min. Good question.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't have any experience with MACs, but restoring NT/W2K from a W2K box, I see restore speeds an order of magnitude lower than backup speeds. That is if I backup at 400-450 MB/min, I get restores of 45-50.

I little better than you are seeing, but not much

(You may get better speeds if writing data to an empty disk, than if replacing data on a currently populated disk due to the overhead of de-allocating and then re-allocating the clusters, especially with large numbers of small files.)

Doni_Katz_2
Level 3
True, if I backup a 2k3 server at 450MB/m, the restore will often be about 55MB/m. Clearly replacing current data takes much longer, as I've seen much higher restore speeds to empty volumes. However, Mac restores being 5 or 6x slower was what caught my eye. I think you're probably right that since I was restoring home directories, the large number of small files came into play.

Sascha, perhaps a better test would be to backup & restore the same data from/to an OS X and Windows box and compare. Also try restoring to an empty OS X box. Lastly, try backing up and restoring different data types from/to the OS X box, that is work files vs system/library files, which tend to be small and many. Curious how much faster restoring directories of images or what-not would be than home directories or other system files. Let's see if typical app data is several times faster, in line with what wer'e used to seeing on Windows boxes.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We hope all the above responses have helped you. If the problem persists, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sascha_D
Level 3
In the end i actually got rid of the OSX server and moved everything over to windows 2003. No more backup issues.