cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle B2D is this Possible ?

Trevor_B
Level 4
Hi All,

I am running BE 12 with Oracle 9i being backed up to Tape. Please can anyone point me in the right direction is it possible to do Hot backups to Disk ? Tape is working 100% fine but i cant implement a B2D for the entire backup as at the moment if i try to B2D i get a script error ( always falls over on Oracle as the script tries to backup to tape as per the rman script, is there anyway to change the rman script ? is it in BE or in the Oracle 9i Database the rman script

Many Thanks

Trev
6 REPLIES 6

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes,it is possible to backup Oracle databases to a B2D.
The parameters in the RMAN script can be modified to backup to a B2D.
BE uses the RMAN to backup Oracle resources.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Please can you tell me how to modify the script? Is the script in the Oracle DB itself or part of BE 12? Any example of scripts i could possibly look at to modify im not an Oracle DBA more of a windows person .

thanks

Trev

RahulM
Level 6
Trevor,I would strongly recommend that you have an Oracle DBA make the modification
for a sample you might want to have a look at the following link.

To simplify ongoing use of RMAN for backup and recovery, the RMAN lets you set a number of persistent configuration settings for each target database. These settings control many aspects of RMAN's behavior when working with that database, such as backup retention policy, default destinations for backups to tape or disk, default backup device type (tape or disk), and so on.

The default values for these configuration settings let you use RMAN effectively without changing any of them. However, as you develop a more advanced backup and recovery strategy, you will have to change these settings to implement that strategy. Use the RMAN SHOW and CONFIGURE commands to view and change the RMAN configuration settings.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/setup004.htm#i1017890

Trevor_B
Level 4
Many Thanks for your help

I will consult a DBA

Thanks

RahulM
Level 6
You are welcome Trevor.
Cheers!!

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi RaulM,

I tried backing up the tablespace and archivelog to disk and to tape (different jobs) but I cannot restore. When i select the folder of the backup (from tape or disk) I cannot see any selections from the right side of the screen. Media server is upadted, reinstalled agent also.

Please advise.

You can email at cedric.nunez@stme.com

Thanks.