cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Database back-up failing

Bakker
Level 3
We currently have an issue with a back-up of an oracle database. the error message we get is:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0001016 - The backup file could not be backed up because there is already a backup file with the same name in the Backup Exec catalog.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4118

The two solutions provided on the support page linked above did not resolve the issue. The setup of the back-up itself and of the Backup Exec Agent is identical to the situation on other oracle servers. We do see the job back up the data, (about 135gb) and the logfiles are properly deleted on the oracle servers (as specified in the backup options) The job fails at the end after a verify has run.

I do however have a suspicion as to how this happened.

The database that is failing to be backupped used to reside on another server on a different site. We back-upped the database and transported the tapes to the new location, cataloged the media and restored the database to the new server. After which the tapes were quickformatted and removed from the device. The newly created back-up job fails to back up the database as per the error message above.

I do not see any option to manually remove whatever reference is left to this old server from the catalogs. But perhaps i have the wrong idea?

Any and all help would be greatly apreciated. I've been tearing my hair out for a couple of days now.

Using Backup exec version 12.0, the oracle server (10g) is running Windows server 2003 R2 x64 standard edition
3 REPLIES 3

Paul_Jeal
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
If the Oracle DB only was restored from tape and a new Backup job has been created since, I do not beleive the fact it was moved from one server to another will have any impact, as long as the Remote Agent configuration is correct now.

I assume this is combined Oracle DB and Archive Logs backup. Have you tried backing up the DB and Archive Logs in seperate jobs, to see if they are both successful when apart?

Bakker
Level 3

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the responce. I just backed up the Table Spaces and Archive Logs seperately. Both jobs backed up the same ammount of data and both failed after the verify. Rman output states:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of backup plus archivelog command at 02/10/2010 03:42:13
ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="BE_9ml5kovr_1_1", parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
   BEError(0xe0001016) The backup file could not be backed up because there is already a backup file with the same name in the Backup Exec catalog.

Recovery Manager complete.

Bakker
Level 3
I've tried a few additional steps to resolve this issue, but all without success.

Reboots of the backup and database servers.
Backup exec has been updated with the latest service pack + hotfixes
I've recreated the job.
Again verified all settings within backup exec itself and the job properties to reflect other environments and backups.
Verified that the firewall that sits between these two servers does not block any communication.

Any help would be very welcome.