cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle backup and restore issues

Mohamed_Roushdy
Level 2

Hello,

I am new by to Symantec BE, one of my customers is interested in BE as a backup solution for his Oracle databases, but we have some difficulties in using BE for that purpose and I need your assistance please, we've started the demo by backing up a single tablespace then restore it, the backup was very successful according to BE's report, but when we restored it the whole Oracle instance got corrupted, but it's a testing instance so we have no data lose, I've read the user's guide of the product but I still have few questions:

1. regarding backup, or let's say a correct backup method, for the very first backup, should I perform a full backup of the whole instances? or I can just backup a single tablespace? 
  2. the customer deleted some records after taking that backup, but when restoring, the process fails, I need to know what should I exactelly restore to retreive the deleted records, should I restore the control file for the whole instance or just do a database restore and choose that tablespace? the restoration os performed on the same DB server, just to recover the lost records, not redirecting the data.
  3. I am confused and don't know what is meant by "restoring from online database" in the restore wizard, I can't figure out what exactelly is backed up withing the backup sets, it's very confusing.

the administrator's guide is a bit confusing here, especialy that there's no screen shots, nothing useful on youtube as well.

Awaiting your kind responses.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I think Oracle support is more needed than symantec one.

first you have to understand the way Oracle will act in backup and restore

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you ever done a backup and restore of an Oracle database using RMAN?

Mohamed_Roushdy
Level 2

Hello, I have no experience in Oracle at all, I am just helping my customer to use BE for that purpose, I've read the BE admin user guide but it seems that there's something wrong, the custmer is preparing a new Oracle instance just for testing and I will take a full backup from it then just restore the required tablespace, but till then, from Symantec side, do you have any suggestions or advices for me?