Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2007 hangs intermittently, DLO11d and Vista

Robert_Dahlberg
Level 4
Hi

Scenario:
1. User moves a big mail (10 Mb+) from his mailbox to his pst-file.
2. DLO detects the move and adds the mail to the pending files list.
3. The backup start after about 15 minutes as we have our schedule set on that time.
4. Outlook hangs several times during the backup. First one time when the mail get copied locally and one time when the mail get copied to the NUDF.
5. The time it takes for DLO to copy the file locally and to the network coincides with how long time outlook hangs. This makes it impossible for a user sitting on a slower connection to move large mails in outlook.

This is probably a problem with how MAPI works. It seems that only one process at a time can access the pst-file. This leads me to believe that the hangning occurs when dlo accesses the pst-file. I am fine with that the pst-file access get interrupted, but I dont like that outlook hangs completely, it should be possible to work with the inbox at least.. In earlier versions of outlook and DLO, this wouldnt happen..

If someone here has the same config as me, could you please test my findings and reply. So that I can be sure that the problem lies with DLO and not something else in our config.

Best regards,
Robert
21 REPLIES 21

gleira
Not applicable
Hello!

I don't know if it is another aspect of the same problem. I'm testing the DLO. I'm using the last available version, I think. I have created a profile with only one directory. Everything seems to work fine, until I open Outlook 2007 SP2. Then, DLO Desktop Agent detects a problem and exits. After this, I have to reboot my PC to restart the DLO agent...

dgoracy
Not applicable
Ok I have been using the DLO just fine for year or so. Then 2 of our directors upgraded to Office 2007....I guess that upgrade was not mentioned to me, but since then they have had issues with the DLO as we use it on the portable units like theirs so they can have their PSTs local.
I got back this week, and found out that the DLO;s are not working for them.   I dont usually deal with the desktops as I am the server person, but since the DLO was my project, and I install and maintain it they came to me.  The odd thing is they get no errors, and they are allowed to modify their schedules. they are tech directors they know what to do. So i looked at the event logs and found our that SP2 for office and some other updates were pushed through WSUS to the desktops and those dates match the peoples timelines of the DLO breaking.
So I tried to re-create everything from scratch, since everyone was working fine before I left.
I had office 2003 on a test workstation, then insalled the DLO agent (had issues there to since an update to the backupe server was done too), fixed that and then setup the standard profile, ran the typical incremental things like moving messages to the PSTs and moving other files the folder being backed up via the DLO agent. All good.  I then upgrade to Office 2007...basic....like they all did....tested, noticed a slowness in the DLO, but no errors and working well....OK here come the updates yelling at me to install...I choose custom and go one at a time....SP2 for Office 2007 is first....reboot...WHAM not working...
DLO starts, then I open Outlook and it crashes, BUT I get Errors, something to go off of "Symantec DLO encountered a problem and needs to close, for info click here,
That gives me a screen with some debug codes...

So has anyone found a fix?   I am running 11D on the servers and we were not ready to go to 12D yet. I have symantec support, but I thought Id check the boards first....
and i am going to let the techs who alllowed SP 2 out, without testing on the DLO side... :)   Especially when it breaks Directors PSTs!

Please let me know.    Although there are only 2 people at this time, I cannot uninstall SP2 for office, since it doesnt allow me too...and they (mgmt) would prefer we find the fix for it first!

So beware out there....it is my beleif from my testing that shows SP2 for 2007 office, breaks the DLO agent, both incremental and otherwise...