cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overland Arcvault12 Hardware Compression keeps turning OFF

bubbylo
Level 4

Currently we are  using Backup Exec for windows Vs. 12.0 Rev 1364 SP5.  This in turn is connected to an Overland Storage Arcvault 12 tape backup unit.  My problem is this.  The tape unit is LTO-3 and capable of 800GB/tape with hardware compression turned on.  I have set and verified that H/W compression is indeed turned on in the unit.   When I run a backup or even erase a tape the compression is now turned off.  My setting in Backup Exec for compression is Hardware [if available, otherwise software].  Is this setting wrong?  what keeps turning off my hardware compression?  Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

That setting is correct...what sort of compression ARE you getting, if at all?

If you're getting nothing out of it (ie. 1:1 or less:1), then what sort of data are you backing up? Some data that is already compressed would decompress when backed up with compression in the job enabled for example, which in effect turns compression off...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure you check the both the Tape device in the Backup Exec Devices screen and the Hardware comopression setting in the job properties are set to enabled. Also check that that devcie is on the 12.0 Hardware Compatibility List

Also if both are enabled then just for info at the start of every backup job, Backup Exec will turn compression off on the drive and then if the job specifies hardware compression it will then attempt to turn it back on again. If you know what to look for this sequence can be seen in  debug logs.

As such I suspect that Backup Exec is trying to turn compression on and failing assuming all the other settyings are correct (which is usually a firmware or driver level issue)

I do have a concern that 12.0 is an old version of BE and you might need updated drivers that can only be applied to the latest versiosn of BE so you might want to consider upgrading.

bubbylo
Level 4

The Overland Firmware is updated .

The strange things is that the job work correctly just one time using only one tape. At the next job if i don't set the compression on on the overland drive it's work whith no compression because the setting turn off automatically at the end of symantec job.

bubbylo
Level 4

Symantec settings is ok. On the overland i set on the compression but it's work just one time. after a job it's turning to OFF on the Library. Where i can se the debug logs to see wath appen at the end of the job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Windows Device Manager, make sure that the library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it is not, change the driver using the procedure below.

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

The tape drive should have a Symantec driver.