cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create deduplication folder with after R3 upgrade!

tw71
Level 3
Partner

We did an inplace upgrade from R2 to R3 an trying the create a new deduplication folder (since two days).

Problem:
Creating a deduplication folder on local d: drive with 8TB, deletes our folder dedup and produces an error cannot create deduplication folder. There is a wokring B2D folder on this d: drive.

Creating a deduplication folder on local c:\dedupc in. Process of creating never finishing. Seems that the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine did not start and hangs.

Any idea to get work and create a deduplication folder in R3?

22 REPLIES 22

teiva-boy
Level 6

Delete dedupe option, aka remove from installation.

restart services

re-add dedupe option

try and create folder on D: now.

herve_lequippe
Level 4
Employee

You can only have one dedupe Folder per Media Server

Herve

tw71
Level 3
Partner
Reinstalling the deduplication Option did Not solve the problem.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

While trying to create a dedup folder are there any events logged in the eventlog? If not you could enable debug logging as described in the first part of this technote: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136441

However this might require you to go through a lot of logs. If you feel this will be a too time consuming process I'd suggest that you open a ticket with symantec support.

TobyM
Level 2

I'm having the same issue. It's been esculated all the way up to development and we still have not been able to resolve the issue.

What equipment are you using if you don't mind me asking? I have a Dell Poweredge server with a quad core and 16gb of ram attached to a MD1000 with sata drives via a PERC 6/E Adapter

It worked fine in R2 but does not work in R3

SJLarsen
Level 3

I'm having the exact same issue.

Why oh why wasn't this tested some more before release?

Win2008 R2 VMware server.

In-place upgrade from BE 2010 R2 to BE 2010 R3.

After installation the server kept hanging at start, found out this was caused by the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine -service being stuck at "Starting"

Disabled the service from Safe Mode and got the server up and running. Removed the (Pre-R3) Deduplication Store from BE 2010 R3 management console. Deleted the old Dedup folders (wasn't much data in anyway). Created a new one, got the warning about "make sure you use credentials specific for deduplication"-yadda yadda. It's been what... 30 minutes since I did that, and it's still stuck at "Gathering information. This may take a few minutes." While the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine is stuck in "Starting" status again in Services (Yes I have enabled it again).

Any ideas or solutions would appreciated!

/Simon

TobyM
Level 2

Simon,

I experienced the exact same thing. After working with various Level 4 technicians and even a developer, no one could resolve the issue. Uninstalling the complete application did not even resolve the issue. I suspect some left over registry entries after the uninstall.

I finally had to reformat that entire box and reinstall from scratch to get it to work. Good luck in trying to find a resolution but reformating might be a reality unless you can find the registry entries that might have been causing the issue.

SJLarsen
Level 3

Thanks for your feedback Toby.

Since we purchased OEM licenses I have been speaking to DELL software support the last couple of days. Grabbed a lot of logs, tried out using a dedicated Service Account for Deduplication, granting the server more Memory etc..

The DELL tech. is gonna have one last look, and then they will escalate to Symantec Support later today.

Reformatting is a possibility, but I would much rather find the root of the problem (also to help out future users experiencing the same problem).

/Simon

TobyM
Level 2

The issue seems to be with the Dell OpenManage Server software. Uninstall it and see if that doesn't work for you.

SJLarsen
Level 3

Hi Toby.

Since this is a Virtual Machine under VMware, there is no DELL software installed on it, whatsoever.

Symantec Tech Support is still on the case.

/Simon

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

What I haven't seen in this post is what is happening.

• Is it sitting on a particular popup window?
  • Does it simply fail?

In either case, there is a single log file to review for creation issues.

The location of the file is here: <Storage Drive>\<Storage Path>\log\pdde-config.log

please post your pdde-config file for review.

SJLarsen
Level 3

When creating a new Dedup store:

Error shown after a long time:

Result; No Dedup folder is created.

Link given: http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-287-40960-39685

I have read both articles mentioned. The password does not contain special characters. The Dedup option has been removed and reinstalled.

Attached is the requested log file.

Symantec has escalated this to devs., and grabbed a lot of logs, including Proccess Monitor.

/Simon

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Thu 06/16/2011  9:02:42.73 ERR: "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec"\spoold.exe --initdb failed: 1063

Can you check in the event viewer for a crash of the above process (initdb.exe)

SJLarsen
Level 3

Only thing (error) I could find in that time-window.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          6/16/2011 9:03:23 AM
Event ID:      7023
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The Backup Exec Deduplication Manager service terminated with the following error: 
The system cannot open the file.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited
The Backup Exec Deduplication Manager service terminated with the following error: 
The system cannot open the file.

if you can, change the group permissions on the Symantec folder. Use the following list as the defaults.

CREATOR OWNER
administrators
USERS <----- very very important for installing dedupe folder
SYSTEM

SJLarsen
Level 3

Hi Randey, thanks for taking your time to reply.

Change the permissions to what? "Users" is allready on the list.

On the C:\Program Files\Symantec folder?

/Simon

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@Simon - You are correct. Each folder should have those groups.

A support case came through this week with a similar issue. It was later found that the postgres service could not communicate with itself on the local server.

Check your HOSTS file for the following: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

#127.0.0.1     localhost

#::1              localhost

remote the # from these lines, if present.

Also, clear your dns cache: ipconfig /flushdns

Now I know the HOSTS file says DNS is supposed to take care of the local loopback but, I have seen it work.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure no dedupe process is showing up under Task Manager

Make sure etcpath and ConfigFilePath are deleted

Path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\PureDisk\Agent

Delete Dedupe Folder from the volume and create a new empty folder

Create the dedupe folder now and it should work

loopback and IPv6 should be uncommented from the host file as pointed out above

If its a Dell Server look out for open manage software. Uninstall it and try again.

SJLarsen
Level 3

I can confirm that the sum of the steps mentioned by Gurvinder works.

Thanks for all your help guys!

/Simon