cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite and append periods

David_Knight
Level 4
could someone help me please with overwrite and append periods.

I have four weeks worth of tapes and each set at the beginning of the week will have a full backup then have incrementals through the week ending on Thursday.
This then gets changes for weeks2,3 and then 4.

What should my overwrite and append periods be. With overwrite I think it should be four weeks and the same with append. However with the append period I keep running into problems because it asks for a tape to be inserted during the week.

If you have appended during the week and then you wait for the fifth week to come back around obviously the overwrite will continue to overwrite the tape but what will happen with the incrementals set to append. Will the just continue to try and append to the tapes?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Overwrite period is calculated from teh time that the LAST backup set on the tape is CLOSED

Append period is calculated from the time that the FIRST backup set is OPENED

So if you have four sets of tapes, resused every fourth week, I'd set the Append to 5 days and the Overwrite to 23 days

If the job asks for a new tape during the week, you could be filling up the tape. What kind of drive and media are you using. How much data (alll together) has been backedup when the alert is posted?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

David_Knight
Level 4
4 x LTO2 tapes in a Dell Powervault 124T