cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite and multiple jobs to one device

sean_chapman
Level 3
I'm curious about something... I have 4 backup jobs set up to run nightly to 2 separate IOMEGA REV usb drives. Both of the jobs are set to overwrite when they run. Since 2 jobs are set to go to each device, will the second one overwrite the first backup? or does the backup exec only overwrite the media when the space is needed? Should the second job be set to append?
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
can you please let us know what your media settings are?
The overwrite period and the append periond etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

sean_chapman
Level 3
In the Devices and Media section , it's set to Overwrite media. Should it be moved to Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

sean_chapman
Level 3
I changed it now so there is a 12 hour protection on overwite. I rotate through 10 disks (daily). I've also changed it so the first job that runs each night is set to overwite, and the second one is set to append or overwrite if needed. I'm assuming this means that when the first job runs, it will overwrite the old backup, then when the second job runs it will start after that job and continue. Is this correct?

Also, is there a way to have a pre-command format the rev disk before the backups run? I can't seem to do a command line format because the format.com with windows 2003 doesnt like the RAW filesystem on the REV.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Yes, it will overwrite, if you have set the first job to Overwrite and it will append as you have set append or overwrite if needed for the second job.

You can use the following command to format the tape but there is no specific command to format the rev disk.
-- The command " -o111 -d drive name -e:erase type " can be included in the Backup job properties-- select the option 'Pre/Post Commands-- Pre-Job command'

Where :

-d drive name Required.-- Specifies the drive name you want
to target. If -s is used, -d drive name will be the name of the robotic library.

-e:erase type Required.-- Specifies the erase type. Erase
types are:

1 = quick erase

3 = long erase

Note The colon (:) must be included.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.