cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection / Append Period Help

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Hi,

I am using v10.0 on a Windows 2003 Server with a number of external FireWire 800 HD's.

I run a server backup daily to a 1TB device. I would like to keep three consecutive daily backups, and on the forth day overwrite the first day�s data. This should allow me to always have (3) backups saved on this specific device.

I have set the Overwrite Protection Period to 4 days (minus the total time of the backup).

I have the Append Period set to Infinite. I am unsure about this setting.

Are these settings correct for what I am trying to accomplish?

Thank you for your time,

Jim
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you want separate "files" for each job, that is if the jobs are defined as Oerwrite, the Append period will have no meaning

I'd set the OPP to three days, rather than four.

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Thanks for the reply, Ken. no one else seems to want to answer OPP/AP questions.

So, if I am backing up to disk, should the Append Period be set to Infinite?

Thanks again.

Will you please reply to my most recent post (03/09/06) concerning these same issues. I cannot get a consistant response from Veritas/Symantec.

I appreciate your help.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can also refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Again, if your job is set to Overwrite (so you keep separate files for each backup), then the append period is meaningless, it will never come into effect. If you want to absolutely, positively force BackupExec to create new files every job, rather than append to existing files, you could set OPP to "Zero - never Append"