cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection - the never ending story ...

Armin_Linder
Not applicable
Simple question.

I want BE 10 to overwrite the media currently in the drive. I kindly regard to NOT (means never, never ever ...) beeing protected from overwriting any media, because I do want them overwritten.

Ok, I read the manual. I set the overwrite protection of my media pool to None. I set the append period of the media pool to unlimited. I moved all my media into that pool. Result: BE throws any media I shove into the DLT out, and asks me to supply a media that can be overwritten.

I also moved all my media into the temporary pool - same thing. I tried to erase them first, no luck either.

Actually I currently cannot get any backups running because BE rejects all my tapes, despite the fact that I did my very best to switch the overwrite protection off. I even found the global setting in Tools/Settings/Media Management that is (at least I guess so ...) inteded to turn off overwrite protection entirely - but unfortunately it obviously doesn't.

Anyone who can help?

Thanx

Armin
3 REPLIES 3

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--Have you checked whether these tapes are not physically overwrite protected ?
(on the media )

--Have you try to backup on the same tape with NT Backup ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

John_Richards_2
Level 3
You might try moving the media to the Scratch Media pool and see if they will be used. I am troubleshooting a problem I have right now where my media, after coming out of the overwrite protection period, shows overwriteable, but is still not used until I move them into the Scratch Media pool. Then it gladly uses them. If anyone knows why this is happening, I would be glad to hear your explanation.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What is the overwrite protection level under Tools > Options > Media management? Set it to "partial".

Configure the media set overwrite protection to "0 Hours".

Now run the backup and verify the result.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.