cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance optimization needed for BE 2010 R2

fwolf
Level 4

Hello everybody,

our BE 2010 R2 Media Server is only able to backup with about 32Mb/s to a B2D Device over LAN. Both networkinterfaces can be used faster with about 65Mb/s.

The main memory has enough space left (~14Gb of 18Gb).

I registered that BE is only working on two of the existing 8 cores of our two CPUs (QuadCore Intel Xeon E5450, 2000 MHz (6 x 333)). The others are working with ~5%.

Do you have any idea how to improve the cpu usage or is our hardware simply too slow?

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

There is a B2D test utility you can download and use.

Download it on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71829

That said...I suspect you won't get faster speeds. All you can do is maybe tune your server NICs and switch port speeds to the fastest they can manage.

Post the results, and if it helps, can you close off with the solution?

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Take a large sample of files (Mix of large and small) and copy them locally to your BackupExec server.  Somewhere Between 3-10GB of files.

Backup these files up to the B2D location.  What is your throughput now?

What is your normal write speed to your NAS device?  Use something like HD_Speed to test. Can you use JumboFrames on your Gb LAN?  

After that, verify your source server throughput, copying files from clients to BE media server using a tool where you can measure throughput/time.  I sometimes use FTP from the command line as after it's done, it gives you a throughput number ;)

Trust me it's not BackupExec, at fault, it's some other variable in the server(s) or dataset.

fwolf
Level 4

@CraigV: I ran the B2D test utility and got one warning: ===> WARNING - Reparse points not supported on appliance: (0x32)
I already set the nics to Gbit fullduplex before. There was no change.

@teiva-boy: the sample of files runs with about 42Mb/s.
I'm sorry but HD_Speed did not work with our NAS. But I got about 65Mb/s when I copied files from the Mediaserver to the NAS while severalbackupjobs ran. So I think the NICs are not the problem. Maybe it's a problem with the diskspeeds on the mediaserver.

Is there any way to backup data directly from the source server to the NAS using NDMP for beeing independent from the mediaserver?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and what's the speed if you copy the same amount of files normally to the NAS?

fwolf
Level 4

It's the same.

So it should be the transferlimit of the used hard disks.

But when I run several jobs simultanously from different remote servers why do I get only the same speed? Does Backup Exec buffer all the data at a local hard disk of the media server?